Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted Fibre Upgrade to 52Mbs service

colinshead
Fixes: 1

Unwanted Fibre Upgrade to 52Mbs service

Hi

Plusnet have informed me that from August 1st, my existing 38Mbs service (which is based on Openreach 40/20 profile) will be 'upgraded' to 52Mbs max download speed and 9Mbs upload (which is based on the Openreach 55/10 profile). In practice I presently get 38Mbs download and 14Mbs upload and have a line IP profile averaging 45Mbs.

I do not want the upload speed reduction involved with the 'upgrade', as I often upload large files.

Plusnet support tell me "sorry their hands are tied by Openreach", and I do not have the option of staying on the 38Mbs service which is perfect for my needs.

In fact the BT Infinity service is only offering 52Mbs to new customers, so I don't see any real need for the change for existing customers.

Anyone else run into this ? can anything me done to turn off this unwanted upgrade ?

All best

Colin

Sorry - Moderator please move this post into the Fibre Broadband forum.

3 REPLIES 3
Andrue
Pro

Re: Unwanted Fibre Upgrade to 52Mbs service

@colinshead wrote:

I do not want the upload speed reduction involved with the 'upgrade', as I often upload large files.

This has been discussed ad-nauseum over the last couple of weeks - there's a thread around somewhere with lots of annoyed posters in it. The bottom line is that there's nothing you can do to stop PN converting 40/20 users to 55/10. Your options are to leave (without penalty), switch to another PN package (which I think you can do without taking out another long contract) or just stay as you are and accept it.

Staying on 40/20 is not an option. Sorry.

KevinG
Rising Star

@colinshead wrote:

(which is based on Openreach 40/20 profile)

There is no Openreach 40/20 profile, that is the issue. You are on the Openreach 80/20 product, capped to 40/20 by Plusnet. This makes no economic sense for Plusnet (it never did), hence their desire to move you on to the 55/10 product.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Thread locked in favour of https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/How-long-before-Plusnet-put-up-their-prices-to-follow...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still