Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual disconnections...

Stewthecue
Grafter

Unusual disconnections...

Maybe someone here can help.

For a while now, (months) I've been plagued by disconnections. Xbox live, browser, Netflix, you name it.

They happen all over the place, no particular times worthy of noting. 

I have a browser open on my Mac, and my xbox running along side it. I tend to flick between using the two. I often notice that my browser on my mac will suddenly stop loading pages, that's the first sign, and then 20 seconds or so later, i'll notice the game or party etc that i'm connected to on the xbox will disconnect, my wife cannot browse the internet on her phone, "facebook wont load" or whatever...

30 seconds to a minute later it'll all kick back into life again. Refresh on my browser will now load the page, and reconnecting to xbox live is a success. (Although by this point i've been ejected from whatever online game i was enjoying).

During this time, i'm often unable to load the Router page too, but not always. But the hub one has a solid blue light, it appears to have not dropped connection.

I should also mention that the xbox and Mac are both wired, so it's wired and wireless devices that are affected.  

Now the weird bit. A call to Plusnet reveals that my connection has been up for 30 something days or whatever, indicating that the 4 drop outs i'd just experienced were not disconnecting me from their service. And the hub one seems to report that i've been connected for days also. Although someone might need to talk me through the differences between the connection time on the "internet" tab (3 days, 21:29:56) and the connection time on the "Connection" tab (9 days, 22:51:47)

Also, a phone line check showed nothing, but i've since been connected to the test socket all the same for around 30 days.

The only thing i've noticed is that at around the same time i'm experiencing these drop outs my router log is showing messages like this:

IN: BLOCK [16] Remote administration

or 

BLOCKED 2 more packets (because of ICMP replay)

OUT: BLOCK [7] ICMP replay (ICMP type 3 code 1

After around 1000 different search terms in google, i've found little to nothing that could help, other than people assuring other people that those router messages are just the firewall doing exactly what it's supposed to.

I'm fine with that, but it seems to be a frightening coincidence that the message and the dropout seem to be hand in hand within a minute of one another every single time.

Has anybody seen anything even remotely similar to this?

8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Unusual disconnections...

Our tests aren't showing any issues although based on what you've said I didn't expect them to.

Are all the devices connected over wireless? If so it may be worth trying a wired connection to the router when this happens to see if it still happens.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Stewthecue
Grafter

No, it's a mix. Most devices are wired, but a couple (phones and tablets etc) obviously wireless. Disconnection happens to everything all at the same time.

Some extra info:

• Some of the devices that are wired, are using powerline adapters, some are straight to the hub one. I have replaced the powerline adapters with a different brand and issue remains. 
  • I was previously using the old plusnet modem/router combination, but have recently replaced that with the hubone and issue remains.
  • I have removed all extension telephones, and switched from using filtered faceplate to using the test socket (with filter). Issue remains.
  • I've switched off UPNP - which i read can be buggy and cause dropouts, issue remains.

The only thing on the network that i'm not sure about is SkyQ (which is wired). Anyone had or heard of it causing problems?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Stewthecue wrote:

Disconnection happens to everything all at the same time.

When this happens, can you confirm what happens to the light(s) on the front of the router please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Stewthecue
Grafter

98% of the time, nothing. The light on the front is a solid blue.

A couple of times it has flashed orange, but i think when i spoke to you guys over the phone you could see I had experienced a couple of disconnections which would explain that, but it didn't tally up with the 7 or 8 drop outs that evening that i had actually experienced.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hmm, any chance of trying a direct ethernet connection (without your powerline adapters)?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stewthecue
Grafter

I'll see if i can find a loooong ethernet and try the devices upstairs.

There are some devices connected directly to the router without the powerline already though. And as far as i know they are also affected by the dropouts.

I'm entirely open to the possibility that something on my network is causing the issue. I just have no idea what it could be and why...

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Although it may be less than ideal, it may be worth trying to rule devices out (Like you Sky Q box you mentioned) by disconnecting devices and seeing if the drops continue on the remaining connected devices.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Stewthecue
Grafter

Ok, so it seems that this whole time the problem might have been caused by the powerline adapters. I've removed them all and gone mostly wireless, and i've yet to noticed these dropouts. Although it's only been a few days, i would have probably experienced a few by now.

I've tried several different powerline adapters, so my conclusion is that the wiring in my house is rubbish. It seems odd that it would knock everything out though, but it's the only explanation i've got. Can electrical interference cause the router to flip out?