Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable VPN connection

FIXED
howdon28

Unstable VPN connection

Hi,

Since switching to Plusnet (from Virgin Media, due to moving house) I've had problems with the X-Kryptor VPN connection for work.  Whilst it does connect, the connection feels like it has a lot of packet loss (hard to describe - if I ping an internal server there aren't frequent ping drops, but RDP and other connectivity are almost unusable).  I've disabled the broadband firewall in the member centre and also tried two different modems (an unlocked BT Openreach Huawei HG612 and a Draytek Vigor 130) as well as the Plusnet Hub One but the problem persists with each one.  I've also tried different MTU sizes, wired and wireless, but no difference (possibly a worse connection with some MTU sizes).  During the 3 years or so I used the VPN on Virgin Media I never had a single problem,

Oddly, a work colleague (who lives in another town) also uses Plusnet and a Draytek Vigor 130 and has no such problems with the VPN for work.  The only difference is he has been a customer for many years, so it's possible that he has an IP address in a different range.  Possibly a long shot, but I did notice some other posts about VPN problems and certain IP ranges.  Mine is 217.39.*.*, if it makes a difference?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Unstable VPN connection

Fix

Hi Paul, firstly welcome to our community forums and I'm sorry to see you're experiencing problems with your VPN. Looking back on your connection logs I can see you've had IP addresses from a variety of ranges 80.189, 146.199 and 217.39.22.

That said, as you've tried just about everything I'd suggest I've added a static IP onto your account to try to narrow down where the issue may lie further. Could you reboot your router when you next get a chance then let me know how things go?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
howdon28

Hi Gandalf,

Many thanks for taking a look at this.  As I'm working from home today, I've rebooted and it's on the new IP address.  I'll report back as to whether the connection is more stable or not.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me Paul, no problem.

Fingers crossed that fixes things for you

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
howdon28

Thanks, Gandalf.  I've been testing over a few days to make sure it wasn't a one-off (I couldn't believe my luck when I found it was working!!).  Setting a static IP made a massive difference.  The connection is a lot more stable now.  A few blips, but nothing that stops me from working any more.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thank you for getting back in touch @howdon28, it's great to hear that your connection is now looking more stable. Please let us know if you experience any further connection problems or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Matthew125

Hello, my partner works from home and we have constantly had problems connecting to her VPN? We thought we had solved the issue by using a static IP address but after a couple of months the problem returned!!! Just got off the phone to customer services and their advice was to buy another router but will this solve the problem??? Can anyone help please
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Matthew125 I’m sorry you’re having issues with this. Could you PM me the static IP address, make of the VPN, the company name and the error you’d get when you try to connect?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Matthew125

Hi Thank you for getting back to me, we were advised to get rid of the static IP address when the problem returned so it’s no longer in place. Regarding the error there isn’t one, the domain should automatically appear above the internet connection if that makes sense? Sorry for the lack of info I’m not the most savy on computers
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @Matthew125 

No problem, could you still PM me the make of the VPN and the company name?

When you try to connect, if you don’t receive an error message, what happens?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet