cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable Speeds

Excalibre68
Rising Star

Unstable Speeds

I am fed up with PlusNet broadband, We'll Do You Proud is a joke, I can't wait for my contract to be up so I can move to a better provider than this garbage one.

Customer services is a joke and waiting times of up to 1hr to be answered or not answered al all and even hung up on is disgusting.

I've had problems with speed issues in the past and just lately it's been atrocious.

I have now dropped below 45Mbs on an 80/20 connection 350 yards from my cab.

All I get when contacting them is the usual scripted [-Censored-] from some guy who hasn't got a clue.

I was with Sky Broadband Fibre 80/20 for two years and never had this problem and had a rock solid Download speed of 8.5MBs and Upload of 2.2MBs (Sometimes reaching speeds of 9.0MBs on the Down)

Since moving to PlusNet almost 18 months ago the closest I have got to that is 7.6MBs Down and 1.8MBs Up which at the time I was happy with but it never lasted more than a month and now it's dropped below 5MBs Down and 1MBs Up.

Also before all of you jump in and tell me to check my setup forget it, all of my telephone wiring is brand new installed by a BT engineer inc. new Master socket and MK3 faceplate (NO Exts.) Fibre router is a ASUS AC68u and NETGEAR Fibre Modem. (Same results With OpenReach Modem & PlusNet Router)

I wish my experience was a good one with PlusNet but it's been a head bang against a brick wall.

I have now just given up Sad

Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 , Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz , 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3200Mhz
Corsair Dual Loop Liquid Cooling , 480Gb Samsung EVO 850 HDD , WD 2Tb Hybrid HDD
EVGA 980Ti Classified , Creative Recon 3D Sound , Corsair HX1200i PSU
Logitech Z5500 5.1 Sound System , Corsair Graphite 760T Case
11 REPLIES 11
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Unstable Speeds

@Excalibre68 wrote:
I was with Sky Broadband Fibre 80/20 for two years and never had this problem...

...all of my telephone wiring is brand new installed by a BT engineer

Was this at another address or is the Plusnet connection on a second line at the same address?

Looking at your account, the line wasn't a brand new install when we took the service over from the previous provider over a year ago Huh

Even disregarding this, it's not unheard of for brand new line installs, BT engineer or not, to be faulty.

@Excalibre68 wrote:

I have now dropped below 45Mbs on an 80/20 connection 350 yards from my cab.

It looks like the estimates for your line are 50.1Mbps to 65.8Mbps and your sync speeds are currently within these estimates (Although I appreciate the download speed is right at the low end)

Excalibre68 estimates.PNG

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 50.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 19.1 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue

I can also see you raised a fault with us on 10/08/16, at which point we noticed the suspected phone fault that was flagged up when testing your connection.

On 11/08/16, we sent email and text message notifications advising that our suppliers had advised us, in order to progress your fault, we'll need to arrange an engineer visit.

This is on Ticket: 131299134.

@Excalibre68 wrote:

All I get when contacting them is the usual scripted [-Censored-] from some guy who hasn't got a clue.

The only time our advisors are scripted is when going through either the re-contracting mandatory statement, or the engineer charging statement that we need to read out to advise of a potential charge for the engineer appointment if the fault is found to be with your internal wiring or equipment.

If you've already been through the troubleshooting steps advised on Ticket: 131299568, I'd recommend responding to Ticket: 131299134 so we can proceed with the fault investigation and get an engineer out for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Excalibre68
Rising Star

Nice to know someone is listening however you really should check the info you give is accurate and links you send working.

Chat has not been working since before the ticket raised last time.

I tried phoning but stuck in a queue endlessly is enough to drive anyone insane 

If I had a stable connection with another provider surely you as a provider should be able to give me the same stable connection regardless of the tests results you have posted as they can change willy nilly which is why I am here complaining.

Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 , Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz , 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3200Mhz
Corsair Dual Loop Liquid Cooling , 480Gb Samsung EVO 850 HDD , WD 2Tb Hybrid HDD
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Excalibre68 wrote:

you really should check the info you give is accurate and links you send working.

Chat has not been working since before the ticket raised last time.

I tried phoning but stuck in a queue endlessly is enough to drive anyone insane

I don't believe I advised to phone order chat.

Although I do apologise for the lengthy call queues recently.

@HarryB wrote:
I'd recommend responding to Ticket: 131299134 so we can proceed with the fault investigation and get an engineer out for you.

I can see you've responded to the ticket advising the links don't work? We've requested you respond to the ticket with 3 available timeslots for an engineers visit. The available timeslots are weekdays either between 8am & 1pm or between 1pm & 6pm. 

Chat has been working fine from our side, however if you have any browser extensions/add-ons, it's possible these may be preventing you from starting a chat (The usual culprits are pop-up blockers/ad-blockers)

If you could please respond to the ticket again, with the requested information, we'll be able to progress the fault.

@Excalibre68 wrote:

If I had a stable connection with another provider surely you as a provider should be able to give me the same stable connection regardless of the tests results

If there is a fault on the line, as testing shows there may be, it's understandable why the service may not be working as expected. Faults can occur with any provider and although the connection may have previously been stable with another provider, I'd guess this wasn't during a fault on the line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Excalibre68
Rising Star

This is the message:-

[Sms Message: Plusnet:Plusnet:To progress your fault, we need to arrange an engineer visit. You can book online from a smart phone or PC (Mon to Fri 10:00 – 18:00) at http://www.plus.net/update . The available timeslots are weekdays either between 8am & 1pm or between 1pm & 6pm.]]

If I go to this "http://www.plus.net/update" address to book an appointment it takes me to chat ?

Try it yourself as I suggested in my last post "check your links before hand"

It hangs saying loading chat tried on my phone pc and tablet with IE Chrome and Opera

Yet again going round in circles not getting anywhere maybe you could phone me and I can confirm a date for an engineers visit would be a dam site lot easier that this charade

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed from attachment as per Forum rules

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal email removed from attachment in a public forum.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Apologies for any confusion there, I assumed you were referring to a link I had provided when you said:

@Excalibre68 wrote:
you really should check the info you give is accurate and links you send working.

The links I have provided are accurate and working.

@HarryB wrote:
Ticket: 131299568

Ticket: 131299134

@Excalibre68 wrote:

Yet again going round in circles not getting anywhere maybe you could phone me and I can confirm a date for an engineers visit would be a dam site lot easier that this charade

Unfortunately I can't phone you. However as per my previous response:

@HarryB wrote:
I'd recommend responding to Ticket: 131299134 so we can proceed with the fault investigation and get an engineer out for you.

@HarryB wrote:
If you could please respond to the ticket again, with the requested information, we'll be able to progress the fault.

You just need to respond to the ticket the same way you did when you responded earlier today advising the links don't work and you can't get through on the phone or chat, but provide us with available time slots for us to book an engineer visit for you.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Excalibre68
Rising Star

Hurray Cheesy we finally got there, I have posted a reply with day and time slot.

Many Thanks.

Liam.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm not in the office at the moment, but if it's not been picked up and responded to by the time I get in tomorrow, I'll pick it up.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm sorry to say I've not been able to book an appointment for you, as today was not available and no other availability was provided to us.

As we use a live appointing system we do request 3 dates you would be available for an appointment in case your first choice is not available.

I've responded to the ticket on your account, if you could let me know once you've provided a few available dates for an appointment via the ticket I'll try to get one booked in for you.

Thanks.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i have just tried the chat link , BUT chat no one available Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've booked the appointment and responded to the ticket for you.

We do have advisors in and taking chats. I'm not sure why you're not able to get through.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Just tried chat again still same none available Sad  as in screen shot

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .