cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsatisfied Customer

CrystalJayme
Grafter

Unsatisfied Customer

Look at what I was getting back in 2014   and look at what I'm getting this year 62.26mbps from my samknows whitebox which was installed today at 3pm and I received the 62.26mbps then it went down to 60.73mbps at 7pm then it went down to 57.43mbps at 9pm all today. What is going on please?
58 REPLIES 58
CrystalJayme
Grafter

Re: Unsatisfied Customer

This is from plusnet connection settings -> high speed broadband
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
78 Mb
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

The daily drop at peak time is unfortunate but to be honest on a cheap, domestic service like Plusnet we shouldn't really be too surprised at a slight drop. The reason their service is cheap is because we are all sharing the bandwidth. Plusnet used to be able to offer full speed all the time (throughout 2014) but recently they do seem to be cutting back a little this year.
On top of that there seems to be an ongoing fault that some of us are seeing (there's a long thread titled 'Capacity Issues?' you can read). The symptoms of that are that using the Thinkbroadband tester shows single threaded downloads to be significantly slower than multi-threaded downloads. At the moment Plusnet don't seem able to resolve it.
Haffoc
Grafter

There's something else going on.
I've had the same issue stable line for two years, now within a month I dropped to 62Mbps and now 52Mbps.
Using the BT speedtester shows that my IP profile has reduced over the last month from the maximum to 55Mbps today.
Maybe it's to do with this G.INT - but it is odd that speeds are stable for 2 years and then quite a few people are seeing speed loss within the last few months.
It's not a capacity issue as I've checked the line during the day, night, and between 12am and 3am with the same results.
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: Haffoc
There's something else going on.
I've had the same issue stable line for two years, now within a month I dropped to 62Mbps and now 52Mbps.
Maybe it's to do with this G.INT - but it is odd that speeds are stable for 2 years and then quite a few people are seeing speed loss within the last few months.
You're right that it's something different and should probably be in a different thread. The OP is complaining about a daily speed drop, whereas you're complaining about sync speed drop.
But for the record your issue could be either G.INP incompatibility or crosstalk. The thing about crosstalk is that it depends on the particular combination of lines and subscriber on your cabinet. It's entirely possible that you have been lucky for the last couple of years and only recently has someone whose line runs close to yours in a bundle taken up FTTC. Other people have seen crosstalk impact their line almost from day one. It's not really something that sees all a cabinet's users gradually losing speed at the same time. Rather, as time goes on, more and more users of a cabinet (in a random pattern) see reductions in speed.
CrystalJayme
Grafter

Thanks to all of your responses I really do appreciate them. The thing is we signed up at that speed for that price and now we are paying more due to the rise in prices and we are receiving lower speed. Makes no sense and tbh has actually breeched our contracts. Top it all off I even had a fault ticket and one of plusnet staff told me as I'm still getting above the minimum speed they cannot do anything. So lets see I signed up in 2014 at great speeds around 75mbps then one year later paying more for the same service and getting much lower speeds while I haven't changed anything. Hmmm I think I should be getting what I signed up for in the contract not any less. I'm not having a go at you all but plusnet are treating their loyal customers badly, maybe its bt from what I hear bt now has to share out the broadband for more competition.
jsm51
Grafter

I understand how frustrating it is to lose speed, and yes prices do tend to go up, but you do have to realise that speeds can not be, and are not, guaranteed on broadband services. Therefore there is no breach of contract. Due to the technology used there are reasons why the speed might fall that are completely outside Plusnet's control. Things like crosstalk from other circuits in the cables in your area can reduce your speed by the kind of figures you have seen and this is not fixable until BT Openreach introduce technical improvements like vectoring.
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: CrystalJayme
Makes no sense and tbh has actually breeched our contracts.
It does make sense and it has not breached your contract. Internet provision has always been a 'best efforts' offering. Furthermore since it's a service it cannot even be accused of being unfit for the purpose intended (this only applies to goods, not services). Overselling capacity is annoying but it's a common industry practice so would probably be considered 'reasonable' if tested in court.
That doesn't of course mean that you can't complain but it does mean you should approach it calmly and give them a chance to explain. Something things are outside of their reasonable control and there may be nothing they can do about them. In your case though peak time slowdowns are a characteristic of the ISP so switching ISPs could well resolve that - as long as you choose the right ISP Wink
CrystalJayme
Grafter

Quote from: jsm51
I understand how frustrating it is to lose speed, and yes prices do tend to go up, but you do have to realise that speeds can not be, and are not, guaranteed on broadband services. Therefore there is no breach of contract. Due to the technology used there are reasons why the speed might fall that are completely outside Plusnet's control. Things like crosstalk from other circuits in the cables in your area can reduce your speed by the kind of figures you have seen and this is not fixable until BT Openreach introduce technical improvements like vectoring.

I understand that and thanks for your comment but I thought that fiber the latest technology could support the maximum speed at all times otherwise its just like adsl fluctuating speeds all over again. If other countries can support much faster speeds than what we are getting and at hardly any fluctuations why can't the UK? It seems that the higher we go the steeper we fall in speeds these days. If plusnet could support my speeds at 75mbps back in 2014 for months with hardly any fluctuations and 2015 has been a right let down with my connection losing 12mbps or more is not acceptable in my eyes. I've paid for a service which I was told at sign up that my line could handle 79mbps. I was hitting around that at first even after months then at the end of 2014 it all changed for the worst. Once my contract has been completed I'm going to someone who can handle my phoneline speeds and with good customer service. Why should I the customer have to put up with this? I'm surprised that other customers who had great speeds haven't rallied together and make Plusnet/BT sort this out.
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: CrystalJayme
I understand that and thanks for your comment but I thought that fiber the latest technology could support the maximum speed at all times
It can, but I don't think you've understood some of our replies. It's not helped by the poster who complained about a different problem.
In your case where speeds are slowing at peak times that has nothing to do with the technology. What is happening there is that your ISP (Plusnet) are unable to get data to you as fast as your line can handle. Your line remains connected at nearly the full speed 24/7 - it's just that as the evening progresses the flow of data through it reduces. That is down to Plusnet's management of their bandwidth and/or the connection they have to the rest of the internet. As I said in my last response if you were to change ISPs that problem may go away (but only if you choose wisely).
If other countries can support much faster speeds than what we are getting and at hardly any fluctuations why can't the UK?
What other countries would those be? All residential services are contended - that's why they cost less a leased line. They cost a tenth that of a leased line because you are sharing the bandwidth with ten other people. If you want to ensure that you never see a drop in speed you need to pay your ISP more money. Because the only way they can ensure it at peak time is for them to have too much bandwidth available for the other 23 hours of the day. That's possible (yes, even in the UK) but you have to pay a premium for them to run a network like that. Plusnet is not a premium ISP. Far from it - it's a cheap mass market ISP and they can't afford to have spare capacity 23 hours a day.
None of this has anything to do with the headline speed by the way.
Peak time speed drop-off has been a feature all the way back to ADSL and even analogue modems. It's common to all contended services. In the same way that queues form outside night clubs on a Friday and Saturday night and why you sometimes have to book a week ahead at a good restaurant. As I said in my first reply PN did use to run a network with plenty of spare capacity. Everyone was surprised and said it was amazing and that it couldn't last. It now looks like 2015 was the end of that period and reality has set in. If you want anything like guaranteed speeds you probably need to be looking at AAISP.
NedLudd
Grafter

This could just be down to the introduction of G.INP on your line!
Not all modems are fully compatible and can cause a speed drop very similar to yours.
In my case I dropped from 73 to 60 odd but when I fitted a different modem/router my speeds were restored. I had ditched the PN supplied router a long back but the G.INP problem lies the BT supplied modem. So, I bought a Billion 8800NL modem/router  from Amazon for <£70 and everything is OK!
The point is that some line changes are not within PN's control - they are put in place by BT OR and affect ALL resellers of Fibre products.
Geoff,
York.
CrystalJayme
Grafter

Thank you Andrue for your advice and answering my concerns
CrystalJayme
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
Not all modems are fully compatible and can cause a speed drop very similar to yours.
In my case I dropped from 73 to 60 odd but when I fitted a different modem/router my speeds were restored. I had ditched the PN supplied router a long back but the G.INP problem lies the BT supplied modem. So, I bought a Billion 8800NL modem/router  from Amazon for <£70 and everything is OK!
The point is that some line changes are not within PN's control - they are put in place by BT OR and affect ALL resellers of Fibre products.

Thanks for that yeah I also have pn router and btor modem so I'll see if a vdsl router will help.  Wink
CrystalJayme
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd

Are you now getting 73mbps again after changing the pn router and modem from bt?
NedLudd
Grafter

Yup! All is as it was before BT introduced G.INP - 73 down and 17 up!
Geoff,
York.