cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable fibre and landline quality experience

Mikeg28

Unreliable fibre and landline quality experience

I am finally moved to go public with the difference in quality of the actual service I have received since moving from Sky Unlimited and Skytalk.  It would be true to say that the Sky Q mesh router rarely went down and if it did it was due to a "national" fault. My move was prompted by Sky getting greedy. However have I made a big mistake for the sake of £100 a year is now the question?

My exchange is 01895 where Sky put in their own kit a few years ago. Our nearest BT cabinet, notorious locally for its faults, is some 330 yards from my house, and there is a new cabinet opposite.

When I enrolled with PN I told them that my house would not work with their standard Sagem router due its construction so they contributed to an Netgear Nighthawk beast which works well (when it gets a feed!). However, the actual broadband fibre feed into the router is up and down like Tower Bridge. It is unreliable but all I get is "this is within our service levels". It may be within your but it is not within mine. Reminds me of British Leyland and their Friday cars—shows how old you are if you can remember that! You try teaching an online school lesson remotely when the wifi drops out three times in two hours.

I enrolled at £37.99, told that price would be fixed until March 2022, but it went up last month. My 1571 service fell over, my landline is telling me that a main car dealer's phone number is not recognised, etc. Irritations, true, but in this day and age. not acceptable. All in all, a tale of a real unhappy customer. 

Phone staff are all very nice, we have had some fun conversations 

I have raised this as a formal complain this morning. PN can either get it fixed by rejigging my configuration at the exchange or in the box or tell me to clear off and go back to Sky. Either way, the status quo will not remain.

1 REPLY 1
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Unreliable fibre and landline quality experience

Thanks for your post @Mikeg28 and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see the issues you're having with us. I've picked up the complaint you've raised, and I'm taking personal ownership moving forward. I've been spending some time looking into this, and I've made a change to setting on your fibre service to try to increase the stability, which should take effect from tomorrow.

This sort of adjustment can take 7 to 14 days to see a difference as what I've done is influence the DLM(dynamic line management) software at the cabinet(DSLAM) to prioritise stability over speed as I've got a feeling the software's trying to push more speed down the line than it can handle, so it's basically falling over itself.

As this may not actually stop the drops you're getting with your fibre connection, can you drop a reply on to your support ticket 215684973 or feel free to post back here with a copy of your router logs, so I can take a closer look and see if I can identify what's causing the drops?

The odd issues with your phone (voicemail locking up and your phone not being able to call a particular number) are likely unrelated, so I suspect there are two problems. What issues in particular are you having with voicemail? The comments on the tickets don't give much detail about this.

To begin a fault investigation, we'd need to arrange an engineer visit as we can't send an engineer to the exchange unless a line test shows a specific fault at the exchange. If you can reply to the ticket again with some availability when you'll be free or an engineer visit, I'll make sure that's booked for you.

I can't find your original sales call to have a listen as it's not showing in our call recording software, but I've listened to your call when you upgraded to fibre extra and the adviser didn't mention a fixed price nor anything about our price increase actually, so I've brought your price back down until March 2022 when we'll increase our prices again in line with CPI.

I'll be in the office until 8pm tonight and tomorrow from 10am to 6:30pm, so I'll get back to you within those hours once you've responded. I'll make sure I keep at this until we've hopefully got it sorted and/or come to a resolution either way.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet