cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable Wifi with lots of timeouts

jfarrell16
Hooked

Unreliable Wifi with lots of timeouts

Hi. I've been experiencing wifi issues ever since my broadband was activated a couple of weeks ago. I'm getting lots of timeouts and websites failing to load. For example about one in five google searches time out. I initially thought it was the internet connection as a whole, but I've tried an Ethernet connection and that seems to be normal, so I believe that the problem is wifi based. I have the issues even when I am right next to the hub and have full wifi signal. It is also worth noting that there isn't a speed issue with the wifi. As long as the connection doesn't time out, speed tests over wifi return a result almost as high as the Ethernet connection. What can I do?
10 REPLIES 10
jfarrell16
Hooked

Re: Unreliable Wifi with lots of timeouts

Sorry I forgot to mention that the problem occurs on all of the wifi devices that are connected, not just one.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

What devices are they? Windows based or other?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jfarrell16
Hooked

One windows PC and two phones.
jfarrell16
Hooked

Still experiencing this issue a lot. Can anyone help?
mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

It could be channel interference - if you have an android phone download a free app called wifi analyser - this will allow you view the wifi spectrum and chose a suitable channel to set on your router which is probably set to automatic. If possible use the 5mhz band in preference to 2.4mhz. It may also be worth considering a wifi extender.

Hope this helps

Regards Mike

jfarrell16
Hooked

Well I've managed to work this one out myself now. Good job too as Plusnet have been absolutely no help as you can see! It turned out that it was flicking between 2.4 and 5G wifi constantly (even when in the same room as the hub) and the timeouts were occurring as the switchovers took place. I've now set the two networks to different names so it can't flick between the two. So far so good 24 hours later.

Can't say I'm very pleased with plusnet's help at all.
dworsdale

I've had this exact same problem and have been in regulation contact with plusnet. The wired connection is very good but the WiFi is next to useless. In on my second hub one router but no improvement. Ive just finished speaking to someone on the cancellation line as I'm considering changing providers and he spoke to his supervisor to clarify the situation as I'm and only 6 months into a 24 month contract and he was told that plusnet only guarantee a wired connection and not a WiFi connection. In other words, because my wired connection is good then they are deemed to be providing the service adequately so tough luck on the WiFi connection! Ive been with plusnet for over 5 yrs and I was very shocked at this line. So I might add was the poor guy I was talking to. He was so embarrassed and couldn't apologise enough.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Well first-off @dworsdale I think you'd do better starting your own thread. It sounds like you need a separate discussion to diagnose your wifi issues and having them here is only going to confuse things with the OP's issue.

he was told that plusnet only guarantee a wired connection and not a WiFi connection. In other words, because my wired connection is good then they are deemed to be providing the service adequately so tough luck on the WiFi connection!

I'd hope it wasn't phrased quite like that but I'd largely agree. I don't consider the PN router to be part of their service. It's an optional freebie that customers can have if they want. The PN service is the VDSL connection that they make available at your telephone socket. After that the rest is just equipment and not something you pay PN for.

Something else to consider is that wifi is inherently tricky and problematic. There are many things that can prevent it working that are totally outside of the ISP's control (eg; interference from neighbours' networks, equipment, device issues). That makes it difficult and expensive to resolve. They've sent out a replacement router by the sound of it I so I don't see what else they can do. That suggests it's fairly unlikely to be a router fault so a reasonable assumption is that the kit is working properly and just isn't compatible with you, your house or your devices.

My view on free ISP routers is that they are unlikely to be the best kit that money can buy. When companies give something away for free they generally go with the cheapest bit of kit they can get away with. Now to be fair the H1 is actually supposed to be a reasonable bit of kit but still, I'd rather use my own router and do actually have a separate WAP, simply to bring the signal downstairs where it's mostly used.

dworsdale

Unfortunately that's exactly how it was phrased. I have however tried the op 's idea and given my 2.4 and 5ghz separate names and so far so good.
jfarrell16
Hooked

I'm glad that this has helped someone. Mine seems fine now I've done that. I can't understand why it was constantly flicking between the two. I can't see it being an interference issue because I can only pick up 2 other wifi networks from neighbours in my house. Where I lived before there were 10+ and the signal was excellent (from a different provider).