Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited fibre speed slower than promised speed

FIXED
tsale
Fixes: 1

Unlimited fibre speed slower than promised speed

For the last few days my broadband connection has been significantly slower than expected. I've logged onto my account page and the minimum speed promised is 58.8mbs and the reported current speed is 12.5mbps.

I've tried phoning the support line but spent twenty minutes on hold and got bored. What is the best way to report this so I can get the issue resolved.

Thanks

Tony

6 REPLIES 6
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Unlimited fibre speed slower than promised speed

@tsale  I think you need to be aware that the confusingly named "Current Line Speed" is not actually the speed you are getting but a legacy Plusnet system profile that for most customers is irrelevant. It is rather low so there it is likely that something is not right but it only affects users who have paid for a static IP address and caps the download speed.

So do you have a static IP address? If not you can ignore the Current Line Speed.

Have you tried the BT Wholesale Speed test, this should give a measure of your speed. https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/   The "Further Diagnostics" option gives more details such as the IP profile which is based on the sync speed and controls the throughput speed.

Also the line stats from the Router would be useful info. On the Hub 1 if that's what you are using they can be found on the "Help Desk" tab. I don't use a Plusnet router so can't offer more help on how to access that page.

tsale

Thanks for the reply. I do have a static IP Address and have checked the speed before posting. I’m getting around 10Mbps down and 17Mbs up. This is using both WiFi and Ethernet connected devices. So I know that I’m not getting my normal performance.
paul_blitz
Rising Star

If you connect to your router with a browser, then select "advanced settings" (you'll need to put in the password that's on the actual router.... NOT the wifi password, the other one), then select "connection",  it will show you the current "Line Speed" of your connection: this is the speed that your router is talking to the exchange. For example, mine shows:

Capture.PNG

This speed is completely unrelated to the "download speed" you may be getting

(compare the Line Speed to the size of your driveway, and the download speed is the road into town, which can be busy!)

If the Line Speed is not showing what you expect, turn off the router for a few minutes, then turn it on again, see if that helps. If not, raise a call on PlusNet.

tsale

I've tested the speeds plugged directly into the router. It has always been fine, normally around 60Mbps. The last few days it has regularly been 10Mbps. All I'm asking is how do I report it. I know how to check it. I know it's not working properly and I want to get it fixed. There used to be a support system you could log a ticket with, now there is not. The phone is not being answered and the chat system is off-line, although I can't imagine it will help other than try and tell me how to test it. How do I get in touch with the supplier who is charging to not provide a service. That's my question really.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@tsale  OK so you have a static IP address. The current line speed will be limiting your speed but it may be because you have a fault that has reduced your sync speed. As you are not interested in providing any further diagnostic information all I can suggest is that you continue trying to phone customer support and hope you can get through or else use the online troubleshooter at https://faults.plus.net 

tsale

Fix
Thank you the online trouble shooter is the answer to my question. It has validated that there is an issue on the line and a ticket has been logged.