cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited fibre extra - speeds slowly declining?

north_londoner
Dabbler

Unlimited fibre extra - speeds slowly declining?

Hi all,

Been on unlimited fibre extra since November 2016. Speeds started off around 58 down and 13 up.

I've noticed that almost on a weekly (if not daily basis) the attainable speeds keep dropping. I disconnect/switch off/on/reconnect every 30+ days or so, not once have they stayed the same.

I'm now around 52 down and 10/11 up, (This is in line with BT estimates)  is this trend going to continue???

Could a member of plusnet staff kindly see if there is a problem somewhere? if not, is there a fault process I can undertake somehow? I have noticed a lot of ES errors and CRC errors on the line, especially upstream. (files added as attachments)

I'm just trying to find out if there's a fault somewhere? if so can it be fixed? If no fault I may as well leave come the next price rise as I should be able to get onto a 40/10 or 55/10 package with BT or sky for less at current rates.

info:

attenuation 21db

distance from cab about 550m

hg612 modem with HG635 router

no crackling on phone line(apart from a little background noise, very very low). No extensions.

cheers!

8 REPLIES 8
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Unlimited fibre extra - speeds slowly declining?

Hi

Its a common trend, not really ever seen anyone whos line has gone up in speed, they tend to either gradually decline or stay relatively flat.

There are many things that can cause it to start to slow, from time of year cold weather, water in joint boxes gradually making connections worse through to additional people being connected to the cab and introducing small amounts of interference.

If the speed you get is in line with the range quoted Plusnet will usually suggest things here with helpfull staff, but wont be able to raise any fault as BTW wont accept its faulty.

To be 100% sure its not your own problem plug the modem into the test port on the master socket in the house (if you can!) as that will remove any interference that is coming from the house, but as you have no extensions that shouldnt matter too much. 

north_londoner
Dabbler

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Yup the speed is within the range PlusNet said. I've tried all the usual things, new adsl cable, new router etc etc.

It's strange, something doesn't seem right. I've got thousands of CRC and ES on the upstream, but downstream seems ok...(maybe a few errors a day).  The info was obtained from an unlocked HG612.

Anyone from PlusNet care to comment + could they test the line for me please?  Is there another way for me to go about this process? It seems posts aren't picked up too frequently on this board? Initial query was early last week, still no response! I couldn't find an email address to send my query....

cheers.

brookheather
Rising Star

I've got thousands of CRC and ES on the upstream, but downstream seems ok...(maybe a few errors a day).

You probably have G.INP enabled on the downstream but not the upstream as it is no longer enabled - I see a similar pattern with close to zero CRC errors on the downstream and a hundred or so a day on the upstream.

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
north_londoner
Dabbler

Hi, That's correct. I just checked the latest stats captured during the last 8 days. G.INP is only on the downstream.

From the latest capture, also added as an attachment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Link time = 8 days 20 hours 31 min 35 sec
FEC:            10752384                17291
CRC:            2               3725
ES:             2               3599
SES:            0               0
UAS:            0               0
LOS:            0               0
LOF:            0               0
LOM:            0               0

north_londoner
Dabbler

Anyone from Plusnet care to comment? Can someone check my line for me please?

cheers

north_londoner
Dabbler

Wow, two weeks and still no reply... hmmm not great.

Not knowing where to turn to get a line test carried out...thought I'd try my luck on the chat program, waste of time.

Explained situation to the support operator, why my speeds were dropping and increase in errors (in the thousands)..if he could look into it..  I want to know if there was a problem or if this was to be expected...

If it was to be expected then there was no point in paying for the premium 'extra' service/speed as I was never going to get anywhere near it...hence I could re-access and if the opportunity presented itself (a price rise) I could leave to a 55/10 product....

The support person only read the last bit and suggested I move to 40/2 on plusnet and I would incur a fee...to downgrade.  This was not my question to him and offered no explanation if there was a fault or not.

After being a 2yr + customer on plusnet (ADSL) now returning on a FTTC product, I must say support is not what it once was.

Not huge margins as indicated below, but speeds are deteriorating. It would be useful to know if there is a fault due to CRC and ES in the 1000's.

-----

22nd Nov 2016       11th Feb 2017

max down 59973    max down 53792
max up  12997        max up  11905

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

Apologies for the lack of response.

Testing your line isn't finding any obvious faults, the sync speed is 54.7Mb/s which is within the estimate range. No issues on the copper or bridge taps are being reported.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 54.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 11.9 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 730.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 16:30 to 07:30
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 14
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-02-01T14:15:00

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 55 40.3 12 7.8 37.3 Available -- -- -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 43.2 25 10.2 5.1 20 Available -- -- -- --

Your line is also stable, with only 1 disconnection within the last 2 weeks.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
north_londoner
Dabbler

Good morning Chris.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this for me. So, it appears all is well and errors etc are within limits. At least I know 50/10 ish down/up are my maximum

cheers