cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited fibre extra low speeds

GJMKFIBRE
Dabbler

Unlimited fibre extra low speeds

Recently upgraded to fibre extra from fibre basic, speeds were good for first few months 50-70 mbps. Recently it has dropped to 20-30 at best for weeks
Dsl cable for modem was hardwired into the master socket by the installation engineer when first switched to basic so I can't check that connection via dsl cable is OK by switching the cable but the fault could lie there. Can I have this checked out please as on these speeds I may as well switch back to basic and pay less.
11 REPLIES 11
GJMKFIBRE
Dabbler

Re: Unlimited fibre extra low speeds

To add to this I have checked wholesale checker and I am 80-66 hi/low with threshold of 60 so I know the speeds I am currently recieving are far lower than they should be. Connection is stable, router is solid and less than a year old which makes me lean towards a profile change rather than any hardware issue here as this has occurred only a few weeks ago. Also speeds are now suspiciously the same as before I upgraded suggesting I have been downgraded for no reason
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @GJMKFIBRE 

What speed is the router connected at and are the routers Modem statistics?

Line rate, noise margin, etc

If you are using a Plusnet Hub one router, I believe the stats can be found at: http://192.168.1.254, then click troubleshooting and then help desk.

Please post the results back minus any login details or WiFi names etc and it may provide the first clue as why the speeds are below what you expect.

Regards

Richard

GJMKFIBRE
Dabbler

I have been unable to report this as a fault as the faults trouble shooter errors out at the point where I answer that the modem light is on. So even your fault reporting tool is faulty. Ironic.
GJMKFIBRE
Dabbler

The router and modem are 2 separate devices. I do not have a hub 1. Where should I check for the information you require as I am not a network or telecoms engineer.
GJMKFIBRE
Dabbler

As this is a persistent problem and I am currently paying for a service I am not receiving as sold, and as I cannot report it as a fault and thus cannot complain,does this void my contract to allow me to change to a better provider without no early cancellation fees? I was with plusnet for years as month to month and decided to upgrade after being spammed with offers of better speeds and a good price, neither of which I am receiving. Breach?
GJMKFIBRE
Dabbler

As this seems to be a common problem posted here and the solution appears to be for most a DLM reset. Could I have this done? I would like to be back onto the 65-75Mb speeds I had when I took the contract, I know they are possible on my line.
GJMKFIBRE
Dabbler

Your broadband service
Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
Estimated Download Range: 61 - 72Mbps
Estimated Upload Range: 17 - 18Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 56.4Mbps
Current Line Speed (Download): 29Mbps

So there is clearly a problem, banded for no reason maybe, like so many others? DLM needs reset? Having checked everything I can here it does not appear to be my end
GJMKFIBRE
Dabbler

Engineer was sent very good guy fixed multiple faults on the line tested at 70mb. Plusnet still stating this....

Your broadband service
Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
Estimated Download Range: 61 - 72Mbps
Estimated Upload Range: 17 - 18Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 56.4Mbps
Current Line Speed (Download): 29Mbps

And that's still the fastest speed I am receiving. All my equipment is fully working and the line is testing correctly so this has to be at PN end. DLM most likely stuck still thinking line is still faulty, reset please? It's been over 2 months.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @GJMKFIBRE,

Thank you for letting us know how the engineer visit has gone, I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've tested your line and, though the speed is still not quite within the estimates for the line, it's looking much better and crosstalk is no longer being detected. DLM should continue to automatically adjust the settings and your connection should improve over the next few days.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 59.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate -1 Mbps -1 Mbps -1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate -1 Mbps -1 Mbps -1 Mbps
Up Time -1 Sec -1 Sec -1 Sec
Retrains -1 -1 -1
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-01-10T11:19:34Z 2021-01-10T11:34:34Z
Ingress Code Violation 5 1
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

The connection profile on our side was still set to 29mbps and limiting your throughput speed. I've adjusted this now and if you reboot your router your throughput speed should increase.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
sheffpete
Rising Star

So am i correct in that a line that delivered almost 70mbps has been reset by PN to less than 30mbps ? why would PN do that ... an error ? Does no one check any downgrade for reason why ?

I ask as I am in a similar situation.