Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited fibre extra Speed

FIXED
coxbery
Dabbler

Unlimited fibre extra Speed

Hi

I started receiving my broadband last Friday and while the service has been good, and i haven't noticed any drop outs, the speed is a lot lower than i expected. Currently it's around 31Mb download and 4Mbs upload. When i signed up, the website said i could expect speeds of 40-57Mb download and 9-14Mb upload.

Could you take a look and see if there's a reason for the difference in speed, compared to the advertised speed please.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Unlimited fibre extra Speed

Welcome to the forum.

When you start the service the BT Fibre Cabinet DLM is set at a 6dB SNR. If the line will support it then this will reduce over time with a corresponding increase in speed.

Also note that you need to be doing speed tests with an Ethernet cable between your computer and the Router as wireless can introduce delays. If you're using wireless it is worth separating the 2.4 and 5GHz wireless bands, see here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 Try each band in turn and use the best.

To be honest I would question whether it is worth you paying for the Fibre Extra speed seeing as your expected range is so close to the 40Mbps standard fibre offering.

I would leave it for a couple of weeks to see where the speed settles and come back here then if it's not in the expected range.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

coxbery
Dabbler

That's what i was wondering really, if i'm not going to be able to get the fibre extra speeds then i don't want to pay the extra amount. 

By last Friday i meant the 19th April, and there hasn't been a change in speed since then. 

If this is my speed, then i can accept that, but it's still well below the predicted speed (and below the downstream hand back threshold on the bt broadband availability checker which is 39.7mb).

The speeds i'm getting are based on an ethernet cable being connected to the router.

Cheers

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

First of all what range of speeds do you get if you put your phone number in here. https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Next take the front off your BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the Test socket. Plug a filter in here. Then using the cables that came with your router connect directly to the router with the DSL cable and the router to your computer with an Ethernet cable.

Next do the BT speedtest, ideally using either Internet Explorer or Edge browser. This speedtester can give funny results with some browsers such as Firefox.  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If the speed is low then go onto the second stage tests. These results are officially recorded and Plusnet can access them.

These tests will eliminate any problems being caused with your internal set up. Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

coxbery
Dabbler

Hi, Thanks for replying.

These are the results i get from my phone number

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 73.3 50.3 20 13.5 44.9 Available -- --  

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

71.3 47.2 19.7 12.1 40 Available -- --

I've now followed your instructions and done the btwhole speedtest.

The results i got were 35.44mb download and 9.7mb upload. An improvement for sure but still much lower than the results above.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @coxbery 

Welcome to the Forums!

I've ran a GEA test on your circuit and can confirm that your router is syncing at 34.3Mbps. 

This is below your Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 36.1Mb. 

We need to check a few things with you prior to raising this. Can you please run though our initial troubleshooting here ? 

We would also need you to set your connection into the Test Socket and let us know once you've done this so we can retest. 

Thanks, 

MoR

coxbery
Dabbler

It's currently plugged into the master socket by the front door, though not the test socket as the cover is back on.

I'm currently at work and will update when i am back home.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@coxbery - ok thanks for the update. 

Let us know when you're home and we can proceed accordingly. 

- MoR

coxbery
Dabbler

Hi, it's now plugged into the test socket
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @coxbery

I've tested the line and we can see there's a bridge tap detected which is most likely the issue of the poor speeds.

As your speeds are still poor in the test socket we'd recommend raising a fault here and posting back once you've done so.

This will allow us to get your fault picked up straight away

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
coxbery
Dabbler

Cheers Matthew,

I've now raised a fault.

Liam

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @coxbery.

I've just updated the fault with the next steps.

Same again if you can respond to the fault here and let us know once you've done so.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
coxbery
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,

I've replied to the SMS.

Cheers

Liam

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @coxbery,

I've got your response and updated the ticket with the appointment.

To confirm, you're booked in for tomorrow morning between 8am and 1pm. Let us know how it goes and feel free to get in touch if there's anything we can do in the meantime.

cheers

coxbery
Dabbler

Hi, 

I need to rearrange the appointment if possible, I didn't realise my wife wouldn't be in tomorrow morning (and didn't expect to get an appointment so quickly!)

How can i do that?