cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited fibre Up / Down speed

Dombert
Dabbler

Unlimited fibre Up / Down speed

Been a Plusnet customer for sometime and paying for up to 76MBs Unlimited fibre.I have been participating in the OFCOM monitoring programme and looked at my measurements since beginning of December 2015.on a fully wired 1GB Ethernet network.

Down speed

Downstream 16-06-2016.PNG

Up speed

Upstream 16-06-2016.PNG

So am I getting what I am paying for, or actually being delivered a less expensive package?

Life used to be easy and efficient by lodging a support ticket on the website and this would be answered usually overnight. This option appears now to have been removed and its webchat or phone. Since I want want to be held on the phone while information is assembled in real time to be able to try and answe

11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Unlimited fibre Up / Down speed

You're definitely still being provided on the right wholesale product.

Your estimates are:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 73.9 57.3 20 14.4 -- Available -- --

Your line is currently conected at

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 53.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 11.0 Mbps
Profile Name 0.128M-74M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low

So you're very slightly below the low end of the estimate. It's worth checking that you're still connected to the master socket and that there's no noise on the phone line.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dombert
Dabbler

Connected to master socket and no voice line noise etc. Located under 0.5 miles from the exchange.

I have monitored performance over the last 30 days and have measured:

DownstreamDownstream

UpstreamUpstream

Jitter DownJitter Down

Dombert
Dabbler

Jitter UpJitter Up

Dombert
Dabbler

And I am having trouble posting as the posts get truncated when uploaded.

The problem appears also to be in the Website Load Times:

Website Load TimesWebsite Load Times

And DNS performance is poor:

DNS ResponseDNS Response

Failed DNS ResponseFailed DNS Response

So the service maybe provisioned correctly at the Exchange, but service delivery does not look good in reality. I cant see any service status reports for the area to explain this.

Dombert
Dabbler

I keep getting problems with failed DNS resolution. The DNS Server address is currently set to obtain from the ISP (Plusnet). Do you have problems that are not reported in the Service Status?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We had an issue earlier this morning that was posted in the service status regarding this, however this should now be resolved.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dombert
Dabbler

Yes - acknowledged by PlusNet at 16:49 on 14/07. But my service monitor is saying that this started as early as 08/07.I am not sure I see why I can see the problems and you as service providers appear unaware for so long.

Dombert
Dabbler

Service status says that you should have cleared the connection problems as of 15/07.

Is this true?

Looking at continuous service measurements, your service status statement does not appear to be accurate. Measurements today (17/07) dispute Plusnet's statement and don't show a significant recovery

Downstream speed measurements for the last 30 days also don't show a significant recovery

Downstream 17-07-2016.png

Upstream speed for 30 days

Upstream 17-07-2016.png

UDP Packet loss 

UDP Packet Loss 17-07-2016.png

Dombert
Dabbler

"A small number of customer...". Service issues since 8:05 this morning, yet apparently I am not in one of the few areas that are reported. Looks like this is bigger than you are claiming. Both individual sites and streaming inaccessible, through to a total loss at one point.

Dombert
Dabbler

A "small number of customers" to PlusNet apparently accounts for London, Birmingham, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Leeds, Nottingham, Sheffield,Liverpool, Bristol, and Glasgow.. take a look at the current BT network outage status  at BT Network Outage Status . Its a big one!

Good to know that its not the same problem as we have also been experiencing over the last few days.......

Dombert
Dabbler

Looks like the problem was a power outage at a peering point in Docklands. Interesting that the network is so reliant on a single failure point, and that point doesn't seem to have a working alternative power procedure.

The problem for a "small number of customers" was big enough to make it onto the BBC BT fault hits broadband 

Am I getting the service I am paying for? Answer to this question is still NO