Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited & Cisco Anyconnect VPN

_Jon_
Dabbler

Unlimited & Cisco Anyconnect VPN

Hello,

Since I was recently moved onto the Unlimited product I'm seeing very low speeds for my work VPN, which I've been using for about 5 years now. I appreciate that there are two sides to it, but my IT team haven't changed anything, and colleagues with other ISPs are not experiencing any issues. 

As an example - running a speed test:

On the VPN: 0.02 Mbps download 13.3 Mbps upload

Off the VPN: 64.5 Mbps download 14.9 Mbps upload

These two questions appear to be along the same lines but don't seem to have any resolution:

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Unlimited-Pro-Slow-Cisco-AnyConnect/m-p/1165426
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/New-Fibre-customer-slow-company-VPN/m-p/1334800

The VPN software is Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility Client - v4.5 - using the DTLS protocol.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this or have any suggestions of things I can try?

As I say I've had years of perfect service and I have been regularly working from home on it for 5 years.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

34 REPLIES 34
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Unlimited & Cisco Anyconnect VPN

Hi @_Jon_ and welcome to the Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear you're having VPN issues as of recent and although I wouldn't be able to offer specific support with the specific VPN you are using and trouble shoot steps on that front (in which I'll leave to other forums users which may use VPN).
I can confirm that upon testing your connection there's no underlying issues that could look to be behind this. We've seen 2 drops in the last 17 days and everything from our side to the router is looking spot on speed wise.
The one thing that does highlight as potentially problematic is that you're on a dynamic IP address meaning it will be changing time and time again although your current IP has been active for around 49 days with the one before that a similar time frame. I'd advise then we see if getting you a new IP address changes anything on the VPN front in regards to speeds and I'd advise in order to power cycle your router and certainly get a new IP assigned to turn the router off overnight (or for 4+ hours) as this should do the trick.
This will assign you a new IP address and hopefully highlight if the issue is IP related. It may mean that a static IP address is required or could just be the current IP you're on has an issue.
Let us know how it goes after the power cycle.

_Jon_
Dabbler

Thanks for the super quick response @BD, I'll try that and will get back to you.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're very welcome @_Jon_.
Let us know how it goes and we'll help where we can to get to the bottom of the VPN issue you're having Smiley

IronBelly
Hooked

@_Jon_ I have the same issue. My work uses Cisco Anyconnect VPN and the speeds are so poor it's unusable. No one else seems to have this issue so I suspect it has something to do with Plusnet.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I've never used a VPN myself, but is yours giving you a 10.xx.xx.xx IP address?

This could be in part the reason why, as the plusnet hub reserves the 10.xx.xx.xx IP range for 'future use'

Another possible reason could be the gateway used by the VPN, it might be clashing with your hubs gateway

(I'm really not sure, just a thought)

But you can check your hub ones gateway by going here http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9121

I did give the IP tip to another VPN user and via his IT department either tweaked it or told him (can't remember) and his worked.

_Jon_
Dabbler

@BD - I've now got an updated IP (I have a 146.199.* now instead of 31.185.*) but the speed issues remain I'm afraid. Do you know of anything else I can try please?

@IronBelly - Thanks - is that a recent thing for you? are you on the unlimited product too? It's probably coincidence that may issues started when I was swapped over.

@DS - It is on the 10. range, but it doesn't appear to be that - it's not changed since I started using it several years ago. Everything seems to work, just veeeeeery slowly. I appreciate the suggestion though, keep em coming Smiley

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I totally understand it's been fine for years Wink

Though, not blaming the router at this present time, could it be the fact that your router (assuming it's a Plusnet Hub One) may have had a recent software update?

As I mentioned, the 10. IP range is reserved....

from the hub one:

The 10.X.X.X range is not available for customer use as it is reserved

But you're using it....

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @_Jon_ , I'm sorry to hear the issue persists. The changing of IP address I'm afraid is the only troubleshoot check I can think of which could possible explain the issue if your VPN supplier didn't like the rpevious IP address. As your speeds are fine when using our connection normally and the problem only occurs when conencting to the VPN it does seem something their side which may be behind this one.
It may be worth monitoring your uplaod/download usage when using the VPN as it could be that something uploading/downloading in the background could be hindering your speeds when testing ?
Other than this I'm afradi there's no other troubleshooting or checks I can advise of being this issue being out of our support remit. As mentioned though, other forum users who may use VPN should be able to assist opn the VPN issue front Smiley

_Jon_
Dabbler

@DS - I understand, and I've swapped over to a friend's ASUS DSL-AC88U to check and I have the same speed issue.

@BD - I'm sure it's nothing downloading in the background, as I have a choice of work VPN - one with split tunnel and one without - doing a speed test on both shows that when split-tunnel is available my speed is fine not going via the VPN.

I've also now taken my laptop to friends & family to try and rule some things out - (unfortunately they are all Sky customers) and the speed is fine, which suggests it's not the VPN endpoint itself. I'll see if I can find someone with plusnet to try the same.

I do appreciate the help, but ultimately I'm going to have to switch if I can't work effectively from home. I've had excellent uninterrupted service all these years so it's a shame, but that's the way the cookie crumbles I suppose!

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @_Jon_, the 2 VPN options would rule out background downloading/uploading yes.

Seeing if the issue continues to occur on another Plusnet connection would be a good troubleshoot step yeah.
I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving however I must reiterate that if the speeds, connection and overall service works fine before introducing 3rd party VPN's then our support remit around this issue is rather limited.
One thing I would advise looking over your thread again which comes to mind that others have done having VPN issues is co0ntacting your comapnies IT team for their assistance? As although you've mentioned no changes have been made they are aware of it could have been a change/rollout they wern't made aware of which could be behind this issue?

_Jon_
Dabbler

Thanks @BD.

I actually started with my IT dept (as I naturally assume everything is their fault) but they've had a senior network guy review and there are no issues with limited bandwidth, no recent changes, nor any reports of anything similar - and I'm sure they would soon know if everyone was getting 0.02mbps down. I'm told there are approx 500 users on the VPN each day so it's built to be useful. I'll see if they can canvas to find VPN users on plusnet.

Don't worry I do understand that it's not within your support remit, what I would like is a way to test these things to prove where the issue is. The other articles I'd read on the forum included issues like geo-location of IP addressing causing issues, which are very hard to track down if you can't show the issue properly to start with Smiley

Thanks again for the help. As I say I don't really want to swap, this is the only issue I've had - but to continue to work I'm going to have to if I can't get it fixed. 

On the plus side it has reminded me of the good old days, when I was on a 14k modem and each new webpage was a slowly revealed surprise..

_Jon_
Dabbler

I'm also giving the Pro Add-on a whirl before I take the plunge.. not sure how long to leave it before it takes effect.

While I was googling I noticed this:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/New-Fibre-customer-slow-company-VPN/td-p/1334800

Is there any chance it's a repeat of that, and perhaps new signature updates are needed? Are you able to check @BD?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @_Jon_ 

Having read through the thread linked, don't believe it to be the same. 

In regards to Plusnet Pro Add On - it should become active within 24 hours. If you decide to give this a go please let us know how it works out for you. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

_Jon_
Dabbler

Thanks @MasterOfReality. I left it over the weekend and there's been no change to the issue, so I've removed the add-on again now.