Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre upgrade downgraded

FIXED
alanbboyd
Dabbler

Unlimited Fibre upgrade downgraded

Hi, I've had Plusnet Unlimited fibre for the past 3 and a half years and have been very happy with it, getting ~37Mbps downstream for the offered 38Mbps with around 9Mbps upload. When Plusnet offered a deal on contract renewals last month I decided to upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra. The upgrade took place on the morning of February 18th, and for a brief period download speed tests were returning ~43Mbps down / ~12Mbps up, but by the evening of the 18th it had dropped to ~20Mbps; upstream remained ~12Mbps. I spoke to Plusnet support who advised there was a 10 day training period so nothing would be investigated until then. The throughput down stuck at a solid 20Mbps throughout the 10 day training period. Going back to Plusnet support after the 10 day period they helpfully provided GEA Test results on consecutive days which showed a download sync of ~60Mbps, upload of ~12Mbps, no fault found during the tests. Still no improvement on 20Mbps download. Although nothing had changed at my end prior to the upgrade I've changed the VDSL modem and router at my end. This hasn't made any difference, although the new modem gives my access to diagnostics which confirm the 60Mbps / 12Mbps sync downstream/upstream. Trying various combinations of the two routers and two modems gave the same results. I've lost count of the number of speed test and large file download test I've run over the past three weeks. All speedtests from the various sites give a solid 19-20Mbps result; large file download tests give a flat-top network traffic graph at 20Mbps. The majority of the tests are run from the same wired PC which returned the 38Mbps test results prior to the upgrade and I've since run tests from two other wired computers as a cross check with the same 20Mbps results. I've tested internal throughput across the router and on the internal network in general and this is way in excess of that required for the Unlimited Fibre Extra. Router CPU is unstressed at 400Mbps, no errors or discards anywhere. I've run the BT Wholesale Speedtest which confirms the expected (60Mbps) and actual (20Mbps) throughput but the test result is "inconclusive". Before, during and for 10 days after the upgrade I was using a BTOpenreach modem with a Cisco router at the back end; now I have a Cisco router with an integrated EHWIC VDSL modem. As above the original kit was running with Unlimited Fibre at 38Mbps quite happily prior to the upgrade. Can anyone offer any suggestions where to go next? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
alanbboyd
Dabbler

Re: Unlimited Fibre upgrade downgraded

That's not helping... all the whitespace disappeared from my post
alanbboyd
Dabbler

Screenshot attached to help with readability.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your speeds.

I've checked your account and it appears there was an incorrect profile set which will have been limiting your speeds.

This has now been changed and if you retest the speeds you should see an increase.

Let us know if this isn't the case

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alanbboyd
Dabbler

Hi Matthew, Thanks, that's excellent. The change you made has done the trick and I'm getting a steady 60Mbps down the line. It's frustrating that this wasn't spotted earlier; I've spent a fair chunk of time trying to diagnose any fault at my end, but thankyou for the quick resolution today.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear it's sorted

Let us know if you have any further issues

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team