cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre speed

Aly
Rising Star

Unlimited Fibre speed

Sorry if this question has ever been answered on here.
Moved into my own place around 3 months ago, my home is quite far from the exchange (4.01km) my dads home where we originally had plusnet is 1.10km.
He was originally on the extra package and got the full 76mb download and 19mb upload. When I moved out he went to the same as what I'm on now 38mb. I only get the 1.9mb upload that is advertised but he gets 19mb upload.
Is the upload speed on the Unlimited fibre package based on distance but the 1.9mb advertised speed the minimum you would receive based on distance or is my dad getting an error with his speed  Cheesy Cheesy
7 REPLIES 7
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Unlimited Fibre speed

You should be set thus
DSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Downstream: 39.02 Mbps
Upstream: 1.952 Mbps
Aly
Rising Star

Well at my dads home he gets 38mb download and 19mb upload.
Once I asked to use his login on my router to see if I would get the 19mb upload and still got 1.9mb upload so surely it must be based on distance?Huh
dick:quote
Aly
Rising Star

Also really probably not the way it works anyway, the speed is most likely determined at the exchange not from a login, but still haven't answered my question.
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Quote from: Aly
...the speed is most likely determined at the exchange not from a login, but still haven't answered my question.

Upload and download speeds on FTTC depend on your distance from the cabinet you are connected to, not distance from Exchange.
If I understand correctly, you are on 40/2, and you believe your Dad should be on the same package since he switched from the 80/20 package 3 months ago?
If so, I believe PN stopped offering 40/20 and 40/10 some time ago, so it sounds like they must've reduced his download speed but not his upload. In that case I'd keep quiet Wink
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

With Fibre the download and upload speeds are based on the distance from the roadside cabinet that your line is connected to and not the distance from the exchange.
Plusnet used to sell a 40mb download / 20mb upload product (it sounds like your Dad has this) but changed this to a 40mb download / 2mb upload product some time ago (June last year ?). The distance from your roadside cabinet therefore does not matter for the upload speed as Plusnet will cap it at 2mb. If you want a higher upload speed you will have to either upgrade to Plusnet's Fibre Extra (80mb download / 20mb upload) if it is available to you or move to another ISP. Most of the other ISP's offer a 40/10 product but TalkTalk offer the same 40/2 product as Plusnet.
Aly
Rising Star

Thanks Dannyboy!
I don't think my dad would be too bothered either way, he just wanted the cheapest when I moved out but would explain alot.
Wish I lived closer to the cabinet  Cry
Thanks acr
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

As said above, I believe your Dad is on Plusnet's discontinued product 40/20 (which I'm also on).
However, since you're on a newer product, your upload speed will be capped at 2mb as Plusnet decided to change their product structure.
However, if you wish to have a higher upload, then I'd speak to Plusnet on upgrading to the 80/20 package which is £5 more per month.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up