cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre capped up-load speed 2mb

DWC
Hooked

Unlimited Fibre capped up-load speed 2mb

Well after searching all over PN site found buried in the terms and conditions was the information regarding capping at 2mb upload.

On the speed checks and information both email and letter no mention was made of this. As i had moved from BT and the tests carried out regarding line speeds at sign up again no reference was made. I expected like for like with no noticeable degrade of the service i was used to.

The option of Fibre Extra is no use as on all tests my line will not support this.

Where fibre extra is not an option PN should increase the upload speed as no other ISP to my knowledge does a similar degradery step in fact they take steps to enhance the service they offer and not degrade!!!

12 REPLIES 12
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Unlimited Fibre capped up-load speed 2mb

talk talk do.... .they also offer just 40/2
DWC
Hooked

Re talk talk  i'l keep this in mind for 17 months 3 weeks and 3 days away, i have checked and your right its hidden away in the small print (anyway been with TalkTalk Essentials service and vowed never again, never mind go with them for fibre )

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I too was unaware of this 2Mbps cap. Nothing in an email, nothing in the advertised service. I even raised a support question to see if something was amiss. Then I discovered a closed question dating from the day I signed up telling me that I would be getting a 40/2 service. Problem was, I hadn't known about the question because I hadn't raised it, hadn't closed it and didn't know the information had been put there.

It might be better if we were automatically emailed about questions we hadn't raised, that contain contractual information we don't know exists and can't be presumed to have accepted.

Has anyone else had this experience?

KeithAngel123

I joined in Oct 2015 and untill July this year was getting 38/18  since Aug it has dropped to 37/1.8 are you guys saying this is correct?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Unless you've re-contracted and were told about the drop in upload speed you should still be on 40/10.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@KeithAngel123 PN stopped selling the 40/20 product around July last year, but they carried on provisioning it for some time after that, however started swapping people back on to the correct 40/2 product. Those on 40/20 before July last year were moved to a 55/10 product.

HTH

@jelv 40/10 has not been an option as far as I know..

DWC
Hooked

The current fine print https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/fibre/

† Fibre broadband speed is described as 'up to' because your actual download speeds will vary. We'll give you the best download speed available on your line, with up to 76Mb download speed and 19Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre Extra, and up to 38Mb download speed and 1.9Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre. This is dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day. We'll provide you with a speed estimate when you check availability of our products.

The speed estimate does not show upload if it had i can assure you no way would i have migrated to Plus NegativeNet

Anyone previously on contract should check exactly what you are receiving as it looks like some were told of the change and others not

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

It says that now, but it didn't say it then. When I checked availability, it referred me to BT's availability checker which showed, and indeed still shows, 76/20 for my telephone number. I signed up on the basis of that expectation. After I'd signed up, I got an email telling me I would be getting 38-40 download with no mention of an upload cap.

PN have bungled the expectation management.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

The Upload speed is hidden in the legal Bit right at bottom of page Crazy2

with up to 76Mb download speed and 19Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre Extra, and up to 38Mb download speed and 1.9Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre. This is dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day. We'll provide you with a speed estimate when you check availability of our products.

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bobminors
Aspiring Pro

Trouble is, they don't provide an upload speed estimate in the email you get when you sign up. It might save a lot of grief if they did.

@strat  - sorry, newbie mistake.

KeithAngel123

since download wasnt mentioned on the email and since I monitored my speed for 10 months at 17+ upload I would ague that was the speed I should have, if that is, communication were possible

my 18 months is up in april and I will be sure to spread the word about "we,ll do you proud" not if this is not resolved

plusnet.png

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

So it seems that by omitting it from the email, PN are not contractually obliged to provide any particular upload speed at all.

However, because IP request packets (which don't carry a payload) are typically around 1/20th of the size of HTML response packets (which do), you need 2Mbps of upload to see 20x2=40Mbps of download from an HTML speed checker.

So they are providing the bare minimum of upload speed to enable the connection to pass a download speed checker test.

Interesting commercial strategy.