Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Question

FIXED
paulm10
Dabbler

Unlimited Fibre Question

Hello,

I've been on Plusnet's basic "Unlimited" service for many years and I'm thinking about upgrading

to their "Unlimited Fibre" service. If I do upgrade, would anyone recommend using the supplied Hub One

router or buy and use one which has better build quality?

What routers would you guys (and girls) recommend?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Unlimited Fibre Question

Hi @paulm10 

Good to know you are looking to upgrade to Fibre! 

Staff here can't recommend any 3rd party hardware, but i'm sure that the lovely forums members will be more than happy to give you their opinions and thoughts! 

Any reason why you don't want to use the Hub One? What are you planning on using your connection for? The Hub One is able to handle everything you would expect to do over a normal residential connection Smiley 

Anyway, I hope that you get the info that you are looking for - give us a yell if you need any support or have questions. 

All the best,

MoR

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Post deleted, misread opening post, thought the op was already on fibre and wanted to upgrade to fibre extra.Embarrassed

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've been down the same route - upgraded a standard ADSL connection to Fibre and just using Fibre with the Hub One.

It depends on your requirements but I would stick with the Hub One in the meantime and you've always got the option to change the hardware to something else.

Hub One has been fine for me, just saves you paying extra for another router for which you may not see any benefit.

I am sure there are people on here using a different router can give you recommendations and explain why they did it.

paulm10
Dabbler

Hello,

Thanks for replying. I'm sure the Hub One is good at its job and I would be happy using it, but

it's not the best looking (or stylish) router in the world. I'm guessing it would come pre-configered

and easy to set up. Just plug in and go. I wish it came in black!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hiya. Cheers for the feedback.

I've passed this on to our products guys.

(Disclaimer: I can't guarantee that we'll start shipping them in black, but fingers crossed!)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Producing the hub one in black will not make it any better.😃 It will still be ugly and a piece of junk
paulm10
Dabbler

I have a few more questions after reading the FAQ's about upgrading to fibre.

If I upgrade to a fibre service, would I notice a speed increase while just browsing the internet?

I suspect I would notice the improvement while downloading a large file or watching a video stream. (no buffering!)

Also on Q9 of the FAQ's its says the phone and the broadband would be cut off for a short while whilst

the BT engineer is connecting the service at the green cabinet. Exactly how long is "a short while"? I'm guessing

5-6 minutes!

Thanks.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @paulm10,

Thanks for getting in touch. When increasing to fibre you are correct in thinking your overall general browsing will be quicker as well as the others mentioned.

When the engineer is working on changing over the services you will experience a few hours downtime at the most.

Please get back to us if you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
paulm10
Dabbler

A few hours! Wow. thats a long time. Would the downtime affact just my internet access or would it also affect the

phone service as well?

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi

I recently moved from another ISP (adsl2) to Plusnet Fibre Unlimited.

The phone went dead for a hour or so, followed by the internet.

Took about four hours as the OR wireman had to connect me to the dslam.

Faster, well it is but my dsalm is quite close to the exchange.

Speeds, well I got 14Mbs on adsl, now I am up to 20-21Mbs, and the stability has increased, and the handover is 16Mbs.

Check your phone number using the BT/OR adsl checker to see what speeds you should get. 

More importantly the customer service is way better, more proactive as Plusnet staff are actually on the board,

the other ISP rarely. 

Cost, not much more when you consider I had to pay a non TV service increase on the old ISP.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@paulm10,

The amount of downtime you experience depends on how difficult the transfer to the FTTC cab is. It's highly unlikely you'll experience two hours of downtime, but an engineer has around 2 hours allocated per visit so there's a possibility you could be down for the full length of their visit, but it's likely it will be much shortly. The honest answer is there is no way of knowing how long you will be out of service but there is no way to prevent the downtime and it will be both services although the phone line will be down a shorter amount of time than the internet service.

My own personal experience moving from ADSL to FTTC was a downtime of around 20 minutes (I don't use a phone line other than to use broadband), but each person could have a different experience. By the sounds of it @dws1900 's took much longer than my own.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi

Fours hours was acceptable as it could have taken up till midnight.

Maybe the OR wireman had a batch of rewires to do.

The phone was definitely reconfigured as the 1471 message changed. (My previous ISP was not on the BT number scheme as I could not put my number into the BT/OR adsl/fibre checker, but now I can)

I know from reading this board and on the previous ISP's community that it can take longer if there is a provisioning issue.

Also the street had a REIN issue prior to change over, so I made sure, by liaising with the OR wiremen, that the line was good, Smiley