cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra

enclave08421_

Unlimited Fibre Extra

I'm paying for unlimited fibre extra and receiving the same speeds as normal fibre package. Why has my speed halved in the past year?

3 REPLIES 3
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra

Hi @enclave08421_,

I'm really sorry to hear that the broadband speeds have dropped in the past year. I've run a test on your line this afternoon and I can see that the speeds are a little bit under the estimates speeds in the area, though still within the range we'd look to provide for your line. Have you been able to carry out any sort of troubleshooting checks on the connection recently and if so, what steps have you taken? Additionally, when you're testing the line, are you carrying out the tests over Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
enclave08421_

Hello and thank you for the fast reply.

The speed tests are being conducted on BT wholesale with Ethernet on a home PC. Troubleshooting-wise I haven't done much other than swap out the router for a BT business smart hub 6. When I switched to plusnet in october 2018, I had 76mbps and was very satisfied with the product, I had switched from Sky Broadband and I was actually getting the same speed I am getting now with them (45mbps). I have lost 30mpbs on my internet and I don't think it's a hardware fault at all.

With my previous ISP's I've never had a reduction in speed that wasn't a problem of my own (line fault etc). Perhaps my ISP profile is at fault? Other than that I can praise the stability of the network, little to no outages but the reduction in speed is very concerning because this is a busy household with multiple devices streaming / gaming at the same time.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back us @enclave08421_

You've got a point, your line should, in theory, be achieving higher speeds than what's being reported, even on our side, which is 46.22 Mbps. @TheMightyAJ is right, in that technically, it's within the speeds that you should be getting, just, but BT's Availability Checker is showing that the line should be capable of more.

Going forward, please have a read through our Troubleshooting Guide to see if you're able to resolve the issue sooner. When testing, please remove the faceplate from your Master Socket, and connect your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it. Avoid using any extension cables / sockets too if possible.
Troubleshooting Guide - https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Please get back to us if the steps there don't help, we'll then look at raising a fault on your line and booking in an engineer visit. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds