cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra still capped at 40/2 after 7 months!

msinclair85

Unlimited Fibre Extra still capped at 40/2 after 7 months!

I upgraded to Unlimited Fibre Extra (80/20) in August from Unlimited Fibre (40/2), principally to get a faster upload speed. I hadn't really felt any difference in performance after this and haven't had any time to investigate until recently when I was trying to upload a lot of holiday photos. 

I discovered that the router is reporting the following information:

6. Data rate: 1999 / 38767
7. Maximum data rate: 8865 / 39243

It looks like I am still capped at 40/2 and have likely been paying more for the 'Extra' service without actually receiving it.

I have tried using the customer service webchat facility but keep getting cut off (e.g. "you are number 10 in queue..." then cut off and "Thank you Goodbye" message before I get to speak to anyone). Phone line seems to have worse waiting times. 

I'm really hoping someone from plusnet replies to this message and sorts it out as I'm currently paying for a service I am not receiving! Please fix ASAP!

12 REPLIES 12
WilliamFTTC
Hooked

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra still capped at 40/2 after 7 months!

You can raise a ticket?

I got duped into 40:2 and when I questioned it got pushed away and told its 'nothing to do with us, its BT' and so the bad feelings for plusnet begin. I would suggest anyone avoid 40:2 because the uploading of photos and backups it terribly slow and nothing like a decent fibre connection feels like.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

surprised that no Plusnet staff member has responded yet!  I see @Anoush is on-line today?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Looks like it slipped through the Net Sad

3 weeks is bad Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
msinclair85

UPDATE: I finally got this (somewhat) resolved. The first few representatives I spoke to said they would look into it and never got back to me. Finally I spoke with someone who seemed to get what the problem was and they indeed confirmed that my connection was setup incorrectly.

My router was reporting data rates of ~38000 down and exactly 1999 up but it now reports that I have ~38000 down and ~8000 up, so it seems at least the upload is no longer capped at 2000 but the download seems unchanged.

They also agreed to refund me the difference in price between the Unlimited Fibre and Unlimited Fibre Extra packaged for the 7 months I paid without receiving it. This totalled about £30. 

The delay and confusion with the resolution to this problem was quite disappointing. After noticing the issue, it took nearly a month to get resolved. I'm also still not sure if my download is being capped at 40000 or not because I've never seen it above around 38000. It's hard to tell if this is a limitation of the line or if I'm still being capped at the 40/2 rate for download. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'm really sorry to see that topic appears to have been missed.

@MauriceC wrote:

surprised that no Plusnet staff member has responded yet!  I see @Anoush is on-line today?

I'm browsing the forums, but I'm RDO today. Having said this, I'll be happy to look into things tomorrow for both @msinclair85 and @WilliamFTTC if it's not looked at sooner.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Looking at your first post it would seem to be as fast as your line can handle. What do the maximum figures show now?
msinclair85

Good point @Browni I should check the maximum rates as well as the data rate.

I'm at work now, but I'll have a look when I get home. I have a feeling that this time it is probably a line limitation and not any imposed cap. 

msinclair85

Thanks for the offer to help @Anoush but I think the issue may be resolved now. I'll check the maximum data rates when I get home to make sure the download is not still capped as that is my only remaining concern. 

WilliamFTTC
Hooked

Thanks for the offer of help @Anoush, of which I would be delighted to accept.
I have already been through the ticket system and come out scratching my head as to how I am supposed to contact BT considering I am not a direct customer of theirs.

The line can handle 40 down and about 10 up because it has been in the past. But after I asked for a better price the speed dropped which I wasn't made aware of and no way to fix it.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thank you for your patience @WilliamFTTC

I'm in the process of moving your circuit to 55/10, the order should complete the next working day which is Monday and you should then be able to achieve a better downstream/upstream speed (depending what your line can handle).

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
WilliamFTTC
Hooked

Thank you @Anoush, that was very kind of you to sort it out so quickly.
I do understand lines don't always run at the maximum possible but I am quietly confident that things will be looking up from now on Smiley

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problems, please feel free let us know if you have any problems next week.