cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra speed test

finestrat
Hooked

Unlimited Fibre Extra speed test

I've just upgraded to unlimited fibre extra.  Connection was due to start on 8th March but no notification email received. Just tested the download speed and I'm getting between 16-20 mbps should be minimum of 54.6mbps. Can you tell me if the new service has started and when I'm likely to see the correct speed?

Thanks for any help.  

12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra speed test

Apologies first of all for the lack of communication. From what I can see the upgrade of your fibre service completed yesterday morning. Line tests are showing your router's getting a download speed of around 62mbps and upload of 20mbps. 

Can you try rebooting your router and retest? If your speeds are still low, are your devices connecting wirelessly or do you have a computer/laptop you can plug into your router to try?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
finestrat
Hooked

Thanks for your reply.  I'll try out your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sounds good

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
finestrat
Hooked

Hi

Ok tried laptop connected by cable to router and getting 59mbps but with wifi back down to 19mbps on laptop but on smartphone very slow 3.47 download and 5.29 upload.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @finestrat 

Can you try changing the wireless channels within your router's settings to try to resolve the issue? I've included some steps below if you're unsure how to. There's some information here https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193 with regards to why you might need to do this.

1. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254
2. Click on the Advanced Settings tab
3. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button
4. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Wireless tab
5. From here you'll be able to change the wireless channel.

It's generally a case of trial and error, changing one channel and retesting to see how it goes, but if you download a wireless analyser app, you should be able to find out which channels are least being used.

It may also be worth carrying out the below steps to make the 5GHz wireless network visible. By default this is merged into a single network name that your devices see, so your router will automatically connect your devices onto whichever frequency that it believes is best, whether that'd be the 5GHz or the regular 2.4GHz wireless but sometimes it's better to manually choose which one to use.

By carrying out these steps, you should be able to manually connect your devices on to the 5GHz wireless network which is generally faster and doesn't succumb to interference in the same way as the 2.4GHz network.

1. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254
2. Click on the Advanced Settings tab
3. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button
4. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Wireless tab
5. Click on the 5GHz Wireless tab
6. Select No next to Sync with 2.4GHz
7. Change the name of the Wireless SSID to something different
8. Click the Apply button and wait for the change to be applied

Let us know how you get on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
finestrat
Hooked

Thanks for the suggestions I'll give it a try soon.

Simon_F
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Hi @finestrat 
One thing I've found useful from time to time with with WIFI diagnosis,  especially if you have a lot of neighbours with WIFI, is Metageek's Inssider tool   It is free!

It will display all the WIFI broadcasting units in the vicinity, how strong the signals are, and what frequency/channels they are operating on.   I've used it in the past to find a relatively quiet channel for mine.

It's 'bemusing' when you find a neighhbour's router is broadcasting a stronger signal than the one in your own house! 😯 (Have they got it hooked up to a NASA deep space transmitter or something?)
I can also tell how many local buses have gone past as their onboard wifi shows up 😁

Simon_F
Grafter

Hmm.   Seems with the latest version inssider wants you to set up an account with them. That's annoying.

finestrat
Hooked

Hi

Tried your suggestions including the wifi analyser app changed to 5ghz and tried various channels but still getting very slow speeds on laptop and phone. Is there anything else I can try? 

finestrat
Hooked

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions, I downloaded an app called wifi analyser which I think is basically the same thing.

I changed from 2.5 to 5ghz as suggested. Just one other user showing signal about the same as mine so probably next door.

The thing is, when I connected my laptop with a cable, I was getting speeds of around 60 mbs which would be brilliant if I could get the same on wifi

finestrat
Hooked

Tried a few different channel settings, moved the router and managed to get wifi speed up to about 20mbps which is better than it was but nowhere near the 60mbps using the cable.  

Simon_F
Grafter

I'm not sure what to suggest. I was thinking that the wifi frequency space might have been a bit too crowded, but you say the analyser is reporting that there's only one neighbour.

Does the program say what the signal strength is?  My wifi (when I'm 1~2 metres from the router) shows about -50db.  If it's down around -70 or -80db you'd be in trouble (probably)

A stab in the dark: The house walls aren't filled with that foil-coated insulation by any chance?
 Or you haven't got someone continually using the microwave, have you? (That causes havoc here occasionally as I think the frequencies can be similar).