cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra only getting 30Mb down and 8Mb up

gezpage
Hooked

Unlimited Fibre Extra only getting 30Mb down and 8Mb up

I've been on Unlimited Fibre Extra since moving house almost 2 years ago, but the speeds have never been anywhere near what I was lead to believe. When the BT engineers came to configure the connection they told me I was right next to the exchange (or something like that), and that I should get a pretty decent connection.

It's been pretty consistent at around 30Mb down and 8Mb up, but those are probably the best speeds, but they are often worse than that

I'm now wondering if I downgrade to a cheaper package would I get the same speeds or would they then be even worse! 

Any ideas what I can try or how downgrading might affect me?

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra only getting 30Mb down and 8Mb up

Distance to the exchange is pretty much irrelevant with FTTC, the main factor is how close you are to the cabinet.

Pop your number into http://dslchecker.bt.com/ and it will show the estimated speeds for your connection.

gezpage
Hooked

Thanks for the reply Browni.

Now I think of it the engineer probably did say the cabinet was very close (not the exchange). But it was almost 2 years ago in the chaos of a house move so my memory is fuzzy Smiley

Have attached a screenshot of the results from dslchecker. Looking at the VDSL Range A (Clean) row (is this the correct bit?) it looks like my down speed is below the range (35.7 to 49.2 - mine is 30), but up speed is within the estimate (6.7 to 9.1 - mine is 8).

Could this indicate loss of signal quality in the wiring in my house perhaps?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is the 30Mb down and 8Mb up the sync speeds reported by the router or the results of a speed test? If it is the speed test result is that using a wired or wireless connection to the router?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gezpage
Hooked

It's from a speed test, tried plusnet speed test and speedtest.net which both come out about the same. This is from a pc with a wired connection.

It's been pretty consistent when I've tested it over the last couple of years. I notice steam games max download speed is 3.8Mb/s, and has never exceeded that.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

From testing your line, your router's in sync at:

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 33.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.7 Mbps

So it's possible the loss of speed could be due to the house wiring. If you plug your router into the test socket as explained here that should rule out any internal wiring.

Failing that, best to report the fault to us at http://faults.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@gezpage

How many phone sockets do you have? If more than one do you have anything plugged in to any of the other sockets?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gezpage
Hooked

Well, the plot thickens! I've connected the BT box to the test socket using a microfilter (have tried 2 different microfilters) but it fails to connect at all. 

For what it's worth I have nothing else connected to the line, no home phone, just the BT box connected to the master socket.

There are 2 other phone sockets in the house, which I haven't tried, since I decided the master socket should be the best one to use.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll go ahead and open a fault ticket.

Cheers!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Well, the plot thickens! I've connected the BT box to the test socket using a microfilter (have tried 2 different microfilters) but it fails to connect at all. 

In that case it's possible the test socket isn't wired up.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll go ahead and open a fault ticket.

Let us know when you've done that and I'll take a look.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gezpage
Hooked

Have gone through the troubleshooting process and sent all the details. Didn't get a ticket reference or anything though.

Thanks!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You should be able to view the ticket from here: https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The test socket not working either suggests that the master socket isn't wired up properly, or if you've got an Openreach MK1/2/3 filtered faceplate on top of the master socket, then you need to also remove that filtered faceplate to get to the test socket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like you've got an engineer booked for tomorrow afternoon.

Can you let us know how it goes? Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet