Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra - only 12 Mbps

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra - only 12 Mbps

Your line is not yet on Fibre, the speeds you are getting are ADSL speeds still.

Sorry for the poor response on the fault ticket, they should have noticed that the account type is Fibre and advised you as such. Unfortunately the order hasn't actually gone through at all for your fibre, and due to the actions the fault advisor took to try and resolve the issue I can't get this in place until tomorrow.

Once I've got the order in place I'll let you know and I'll also arrange a refund for the price difference between the products. Sorry about this.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Right, so between all of those involved we've established the main reason why Smiley - though tbh it shouldn't happen Knuppel and one can only hope Crazy2 that this is eventually placed somewhere at the top of the script that the hell-p desk use.

Forums are a great source of knowledge, but these types of issues should really not need fellow customer(s) to spot what's wrong. Having said that at least these PN forums have employees lurking Wink

(not a rant, just an observation).

Anyway, the distance between the router and fixed wifi enabled devices is, imho, still going to be a bit of an issue....

Therefore my easiest and cheapest suggestions are as follows-

• Using your PC, search for and install a free to use wifi analyser (untick any unwanted extras that they may be offered during the download and installation). For reference I use a free version of inSSIDer.
  • Or install a free wifi analyser on a mobile phone but hold it near the PC's location. For reference I use a free Android app called WiFi Analyzer.
  • Look at all of the available wifi SSID's and select a 2.4GHz channel (click here for direct hub page) with the least congestion (ideally you would need to pay close attention to channels 1, 6 and 11 as these are the only channels that do not suffer from wifi overlap). Manually selecting a channel is also a good thing as this disables smart wifi, which can actually create more issues Shocked
  • Don't be tempted to change the wireless interface type to '(up to 300Mb/s)' unless your equipment is quite new.
  • Click apply once the channel has been selected
  • Click the 5GHz tab, untick the sync to 2.4GHz, add something like -5GHz to this SSID, click apply and repeat the above wifi channel check.
  • If you use something like SkyQ, then change the 5GHz channel, if not leave this smart wifi enabled.
  • Devices that are 5GHz compatible will now show your original SSID and a new 5GHz SSID. If the 5GHz is strong where the PC is (I doubt it is) then select this new 5GHz SSID, if not then go with the original 2.4GHz SSID.
  • The above applies to mobile devices too, 5GHz will be quicker over short distances, but 2.4GHz will be better the further away from the router. You can saved both on any fixed or mobile device - for example my mobile selects my 5GHz SSID in the same room as the PN H1, but will select my 2.4GHz SSID in other rooms.

asek94
Dabbler

Sorry for stupid question, but how long could it take to set it up? Or my address doesn't support fibre yet? I don't think I understood the answer properly... Lips_are_sealed

Thanks.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@asek94 you will get more information when @Chris is able to progress the order tomorrow.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately there isn't any capacity at the moment at your exchange to provide fibre, I've sent you a support ticket as an update to the fault with the next steps and how to progress this. Sorry about that.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
asek94
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

I see... Oh well.

Just one last question - will I be charged (monthly bill) as if I'm using Fibre connection or ADSL one?

Cheers.