cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra acutal speed lower than sync speed - advice please

morbidben
Hooked

Unlimited Fibre Extra acutal speed lower than sync speed - advice please

I have been a PlusNet customer for many years now and was on the old Fibre 50/10 product. At the end of last year I negotiated a deal to change the product to the Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20.

The upgrade went through ok and my router is syncing currently at:

6. Data rate: 20000 / 78749

7. Maximum data rate: 23601 / 78898

However ALL speed tests I have done since the upgrade come back at 50/10 speeds. I have attached BT speed test results.

PlusNet have sent out 3 BT engineers who all say sync is ok must be a PlusNet problem, and PlusNet have said sync speed is ok and its as good as its going to get.

Can someone offer any suggestions on what to do next?

17 REPLIES 17
Bobsta
Grafter

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra acutal speed lower than sync speed - advice please

What router are you using?

Does it have a quality of service feature?

If so, is it enabled?

morbidben
Hooked

I'm currently using the plusnet supplied hub one with no qos settings to my knowledge, I have also tried a TP link Archer AC1600 and the TP link TD-W9980 all with the same result
Bobsta
Grafter

Ah, OK... I guess that rules that out then.

I had an issue a few years ago where my sync speed increased but my throughput didn't - and the cause was me enabling QoS on my router which involved manually specifying the connection speed (and which I'd forgotten about).

The symptoms you describe would normally indicate a profile speed problem - but the screenshots show the profile listed correctly. It's almost as if it's not being picked up properly by "something" in the backhaul. I'll leave more knowledgable people than me to comment further. 

morbidben
Hooked

Thanks for you help, I've always thought it a bit of a coincidence that the speed feels the same as the previous product, it's as if I'm being throttled somewhere
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@morbidben 

Do you have a static IP address? Plusnet use different servers for these and the Plusnet profile works on these differently to the general servers and need to be tweeked. This is something that's sometimes overlooked by Plusnet!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

morbidben
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, but no I'm not using a static address
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

It does seem odd that you're only achieving the speeds showing in your screenshots as testing isn't flagging up any problems and does show the service in sync at 78.7Mbps down and 20Mbps up, with the profile correctly showing 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [Removed]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 78.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 167.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

While there is no static IP active on the account, so the profile on our side of things wouldn't affect the speeds, I can see the profile is still set correctly regardless.

I've had a look over the account and can't see anything out of place that would cause your throughput speeds to be as low as they are.

I've also checked some usage (Unfortunately I can only check the hourly breakdown for this, for the most recent speedtest screenshot you've provided) and it shows a fairly significant amount of usage around the time/just after the speedtest was run.

Do you experience the same speed issue when there is nothing else utilizing the connection?

Do you experience the same speed issues across all devices/any other devices on your network?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
morbidben
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, I always make sure I disable wireless reboot the router and make sure I'm the only device connected before doing the speed test.
After this particular test I went back to playing on the xbox and was downloading a game patch which would explain the high usage.
As for other devices, I get the same speed results reported over wireless using my phone, wired+wireless on my xbox and wired+wireless on my laptop
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @morbideben,

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know that info.

Next thing to try is to remove your faceplate and connect via your test socket, this would rule out the faceplate as been faulty etc.

How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here. 

If the problem still persists, please can you raise a fault here and let us know once this has been done?

Thanks.

morbidben
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, I will try it out.

FYI Of the BT engineers that i mentioned that have come out, 1 fitted a new face plate and another performed a "lift and shift" at the cabinet
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for the update @morbidben

It certainly seems like the previous engineers have covered some of the bases so far - let us know how you get on in the test socket and we'll take it from there.

If you raise a fault, just let us know.

Best wishes

Dave

morbidben
Hooked

Hi, I have now used the test socket and attached the results along with the router info. As you can see unfortunately its the same result.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Thanks for getting back to us @morbidben and for trying the checks we advised to try.

As there has been no improvement, please can you raise a fault here, and update the thread so that we can get this picked up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
morbidben
Hooked

Hi, I have tried raising a fault using the "Broadband Troubleshooter" https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults but it just keeps redirecting back to my account page. How to I raise a fault?