Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra Woes!

BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Unlimited Fibre Extra Woes!

Hi guys,

I could do with a little guidance. I have been a member of the plusnet family for about a month now but i could use some help with a few problems that I am experiencing with my current service. (Unlimited Fibre Extra)

Firstly, I seem to be suffering from really poor connection speeds, both upload and download. I am currently connected via the Hub One router directly to the BT test socket using a micro filter, but according to the Hub One the current data rate is only 724/23830, which is less than the max data rate of 898/54086 stated on the router, and less than my guaranteed speed of 56.1Mb download, and advertised upload speed of 19-20Mb. In fact the upload speed is currently lower than what I was achieving with basic adsl from another supplier.

Secondly, when ever I reboot the Hub One the power light on the front does the following sequence (green, flashing green, blue, flashing orange, blue). However, the flashing orange stage of the power light can take forever to change to blue, usually its about 30 minutes, but today it took nearly an hour. I'm assuming this means the router is struggling to establish a connection with the service. I do keep the Hub One switched on the whole time, but you can imagine what a headache this can be when there is a connection drop, which also seems to happen regularly in the early hours of the morning.

Any help appreciated.

Kind Regards.

24 REPLIES 24
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra Woes!

Welcome to the forums @BaxMaxTuck 

I could do with a little guidance

I have little to offer, so guess I'll have a go then!!Grin

You may think you're in the test point, but is it the true one?

Some faceplates have a test point, but these can be faulty.

You need to make sure it's the test point on the box on the wall, not any other removable plate.

If it is in the 'true' test point, then you need a member of staff to pop on here to take a look see.

It would be a case of waiting for them I'm afraid ... Wink

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

How is your phone line? Is it quiet when you dial 17070 option 2, from a corded phone?

BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Thanks for the reply DS.

I believe that I am actually in the 'true' test socket.

I am connected to the test socket behind the double faceplate (adsl/phone), of the main box where the phone line enters the house, using a micro filter.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Good Thumbs_Up

Next 'step' is as per Mustrums advice.

Is it quiet, or crackles or hissing or something else.

As there doesn't appear to be a lot of staffers on here tonight, it might actually be quicker to follow the advice I posted here

I've just checked and the waiting times are under 5mins, though it appears they're answering the phone in less than 2 mins. The call staff could get the ball rolling sooner, so to speak Wink

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @BaxMaxTuck

Thanks for getting in touch.

Your sync speeds are much lower than I'd expect, but there are no external faults on your line. If you're in the test socket (which the above suggests you are) I'd raise a ticket here so that we can ask our suppliers to take a look at this for you.

Best wishes

Dave

BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Hi guys,

I carried out the quiet line test tonight and there was no noise or static that I could detect.

However, my connection is still poor, in fact I think it's a tiny bit worse. I've noted some of the current stats from my Hub One to see if anything jumps out to any of you wise individuals.

Firmware: 4.7.5.1.83.263

Data Rate: 724/21309

Max. Data Rate: 887/53768

Noise Margin: 6.8/17.2

Line Attenuation: 10.1/15.5

Signal Attenuation: 10.1/15.5

I'm still currently plugged into the test socket.

I don't think there is anything else that I can do on my end, so I think I may need to raise a ticket. Here comes the point where I may seem really dense but, how exactly do I raise a ticket? Do I need to request one on here, in which case can you take this post as a request? Or do I need to go somewhere within the member centre of my account?

Once again, thank you for any help!

DS
Seasoned Champion

Yep, looking at that you need to go here - https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

(the link takes you into your account, then start filling out the form)

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

We've retested your line and whilst we can see the speeds are poor we can't see an exact cause for this.

As advised above if you can raise a fault regarding this and then post back once you've done so we can get that picked up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Just wanted to post a quick update.

My connection has been pretty shocking today, lost connection about midday (flashing orange power light on hub one) for an hour and a half, then again from about 4pm until about 10pm.

I've started the process of raising a fault, got to the section where I need to carry out 3 speed tests throughout the day, however, it mentions that I should be directly connected to the hub one with an ethernet cable. Unfortunately, that is not really practical in my house as the PC is upstairs and the router is downstairs next to the main phone socket, for this reason I have used powerline plugs for about 7 years now and have even upgraded them for when I upgraded to fibre. Is it essential that I carry out the tests with an ethernet cable, if so I may have to carry the tests out in a few days when I have purchased a long enough cable to run through the house.

All the best!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us.
If your sync speeds are low and the light on your router keeps changing colour, it’s probably not absolutely necessary to use a wired connection. The main check in this instance is to try the test socket. Let us know how it goes.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Hi all,

I have gone ahead and raised a fault ticket this evening.

Look forward to hearing from you.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Glad (is that the right word to use!) to hear you've raised a fault.

Once the staff move this forward, you'll be given a link to their ticket system. You can gain access to it (on your account only) and they'll probably ask you for dates and times when you'd be at home to have an Openreach engineer attend.

Just a case of waiting now Wink

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @BaxMaxTuck, thanks for getting back to us.

Due to scheduled Openreach maintenance on their faults diagnostic services, we're unable to raise the fault until around 17:00 this afternoon when the maintenance completes.

I've noted down your account and you'll receive ticket notification between 17:00 and 18:00 this evening with further information on when we can expect the issue to be resolved or of any next steps.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Due to scheduled Openreach maintenance on their faults diagnostic services

Probably full to capacity and they're adding more servers....?Roll_eyes

Plus why didn't they do this overnight, I've been told my connection could be dropping due to night time maintenance so they must have night staff too!! Wink