Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra - Upload Speed

FIXED
Edinbanger
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Unlimited Fibre Extra - Upload Speed

Hello,

My current upload speed is around 7 Mbps. I see that Unlimited Fibre Extra supports speeds up to 20 Mbps.

Is it possible to have my upload speed increased to 20 Mbps? Is there an additional charge for this?

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra - Upload Speed

The speeds you get depend on how far away you are from the cabinet, and the state of the wiring in your premises.

What speeds is your line capable of? Enter you number in the DSL Checker, and post the results, making sure you hide your phone number.

Edinbanger
Dabbler

Please see the attached results from the BT DSL Checker.

I note that the Upload results are showing my connection as being the minimum available, is there anything I can do to get closer to the 12 Mbps max?

Thanks

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Do you have a filtered master socket, or are you using the dangly filters?

Have you tried connecting from the test socket, reveled by removing two screws on the front of the master socket.

Rather than using the DSL checker, if you log into the router, go to the advanced section,  then find the Helpdesk tab, post the results before and after, making sure you hide sensitive info such as username and so on. You are looking to see if the sync and max attainable speeds differ.

Edinbanger
Dabbler

We have a Master Socket 5C with a Mk4 faceplate. I don't have a dangle filter to hand so I can't test the line without the faceplate.

I have attached a screenshot from the Hub Manager page - note that I have a separate post requesting an update to the hub software as I am sure it is out of date.

Thanks for your help so far.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Edinbanger  If you really want faster upload you can leave Plusnet and move to a  full fibre WBC FTTP service from another ISP and get 1000Mbps download and 200Mbps upload is that good enough? 😁  You may have to pay a lot more for those speeds but lower speeds such as 80/20 will be available at more reasonable prices.

Edinbanger
Dabbler

I ran a speed test and additional diagnostic at https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and the results are attached.

It clearly states that my line is capable of 20 Mbps - so why am I only getting around 7 Mbps?

@RealAleMadrid Unfortunately funds do not allow for gigabit internet right now, although it would be nice.

This is the latest speed data from the Hub Manager page:

5. DSL uptime: 1 days, 17:31:15
6. Data rate: 7746 / 64280
7. Maximum data rate: 7728 / 65320
Mustrum
Community Veteran

The speed test shows your line is not restricted, the modem stats show the line is only capable of the speed that is showing.

Without detailed stats it would be difficult to say why the speeds are so low. Have you another router to try?

Edinbanger
Dabbler

Unfortunately I don't have another router to try out. I am just confused why my download speed is around the max available and my upload is less than half what it could be?

Any further input would be greatly appreciated.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Your download speed is above the DSL Checker estimate, and your upload is at the lower end of the estimate.

Without trying from the test socket or another router there is not a lot else you can do - as mentioned before, your speeds depend on the distance from the cabinet and your wiring/equipment.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Edinbanger  The point I was trying to make, obviously not very clearly is that you don't have to pay for the highest speed package on BT or other ISPs full fibre services. I don't know what you are paying Plusnet but you could have an equivalent to unlimited fibre extra i.e  80Mbps down 20Mbps up FTTP service for £31.99 a month and a lower speed of 55/10 for £27.99. The best bit is you will get these speeds or close to them all the time, no dropouts or resyncs etc. Fibre to the home is much more reliable than an old pair of copper wires.

You could probably get even lower prices if there are any offers or cashback deals available but not from Plusnet who don't offer FTTP.☹️

Edinbanger
Dabbler

I see a few posts on the forum of people using the BT Smart Hubs on their Plusnet connections.

I might try and get one on eBay for a few pounds and give it a try. Hopefully it will at least increase my WiFi range.

Thanks for the help.

Edinbanger
Dabbler

Fix
I think the problem with my lower than expected upload speeds might be to do with interference from my 100A mains electricity supply. The Openreach drop cable runs almost parallel with the mains supply.

I guess I will just have to pay for FTTP if I want faster speeds 🙄

Thanks for all your input.