cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra Slowwww... No speed boost from Unlimited Fibre!

FIXED
ukbaz
Dabbler

Unlimited Fibre Extra Slowwww... No speed boost from Unlimited Fibre!

Recently upgarded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra. For a couple of hours speed seemed to increase - the slowed. Current tests avarage around 19-21mbs Done several speed tests as suggested and raised the issue with support - no response in 2 days! I should be getting better speeds that this surely? Currently no improvement for the upgrade!

Latest test results below:

Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 17.25 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40-73.78 Mbps
Your DSL Connection Rate: 0 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),0 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
For your connection, the maximum achievable download speed is 73.78 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 73.78 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 18.35 Mbps
For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 20 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra Slowwww... No speed boost from Unlimited Fibre!

If you login to your account in the member centre and click the 'broadband' tab ( https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband ) , what does it say for 'Current line speed' ?

and do you have a static IP ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ukbaz
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply!

Full info for line as follows:

Your broadband service

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 60 - 72Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 17 - 18Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 57.1Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps

If you have a static IP or have the PlusNet firewall enabled then that WILL be limiting your throughput. That value should be the same as the BT IP profile but there seems to be an issue with some upgrades where it reverts back to an ADSL value of 21Mb when the upgrade completes.

If you have the Firewall enabled, then you could try disabling it and restarting your router to see it that improves things. If you have a static IP (and need it) then you need support to correct the Current Line speed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ukbaz
Dabbler

Thanks Mister W I'll try disabling Firewall and rebooting router. I do need the fixed IP for work. So if no success wil contact support again. I did raise the case 2 days ago and no response from them as yet! Do they normally take a while to respond?

Pastbury

Its not just me then. Last night my download speed seemed to be throttled back to around 34Mbps instead of the 55 - 60 Mbps that I normally get and expect , I have been looking around and there have been many reports of this.

The things I have done in the past to improve the home is hardwire all the smart tv's and printer. The Alexa's remain on wifi as well as the phones and laptops but I put everything I can on 5Ghz and have seen an improvement.

Using the Wifi Analyzer helps to decide what is the best channel to go for as I get bleed over from the neighbours 2.4Ghz wifi. 

The problem I have in Northamptonshire is we have fibre to the exchange box but crappy cables underground to the house and I think that is one of the causes of broadband speed degradation.

I will be monitoring the speeds over the next few nights

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@ukbaz  I do need the fixed IP for work

If you have a static IP then I'm afraid disabling the Firewall will have no effect. The only solution is to get Customer support to correct the Current Line speed. Getting action on speed problems seems to be a bit hit and miss at the moment with reduced staff numbers.

ifox6767
Hooked
Fixes: 1

I am having the same problem after 'upgrading' to 'Unlimited Fibre Extra' from 'Unlimited Fibre'.  This has caused my Download Speed to nearly half to around 20Mbps.

I also have a static Ip and have the 'Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps'.

I posted on this forum about a week ago and have also raised my problem using faults.plus.net but nothing has happened yet except some automatic responses to my fault.

ukbaz
Dabbler

Hi - managed to get through to Support who adjusted line speed - working as it should now - thanks Mister W!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@ifox6767  try calling Support