Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra Guarenteed 39.8Mb but only getting 5.2Mb

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra Guarenteed 39.8Mb but only getting 5.2Mb

So now we've just to "wait until it's reconnected to FTTC" but they can't give a rough estimate for when their engineers plan to do the work?Huh

I've pushed this as much as I can from our side, through our channels in BT Wholesale and Openreach too.

And Bob hasn't heard back from his contacts. Sadly, it does look like we've got to wait. Sad

when Openreach have already advised that we have been moved onto ADSL (without ANY forewarning)

I personally don't believe you're on ADSL, as your router is showing a modulation of FTTC.

I really appreciate your frustration, but there isn't much more we can do.

I'll check this at the end of the month, and fire off another e-mail to chase it up.

After that (at least for a few weeks) I'll leave this in the hands of my team to check periodically as I'm on annual leave most of February. I do hope that I return to good news and you're on the closer cabinet.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gladstone
Rising Star

Maybe I'm clutching at straws.. but I noticed the (only recently installed) Cabinet 14 is FTTC enabled and now accepting orders, where was Cabinet 15 is still ADSL. Our house is pretty much equal distance (as the crow flies) to both cabinets. 

Is there any possibility to be connected to a different cabinet, or is that too much work for Openreach? (I don't mean that in a snide way at all!)

I could PM a link to the OS mapping if there was any possibility. I suppose it depends on the route our copper wires take more than anything.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is there any possibility to be connected to a different cabinet, or is that too much work for Openreach? (I don't mean that in a snide way at all!)

It depends whether it's just the broadband routing that needs to be changed, or the phone line routing too.

If it's the former, BTW would generally only put the cease and reprovide through if engineer notes specifically advise that.

If it's the latter then this can only be done when placing a new phone order, so we'd need to install a new phone line.

I suppose it depends on the route our copper wires take more than anything.

Pretty much. It might not even be possible to re-route a new phone line through cab14 for your address. From experience of trying this in the past (outside of process because as far as I'm aware there's no process for this), I've had a very small success rate, so I'm not overly comfortable with trying it again.

I've got no doubt (and I hope I'm right) that this will be resolved but it looks like it just might take time I'm afraid.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gladstone
Rising Star

Our suppliers have advised us that "this is a long term project with no definitive timescales".

They've also closed the case we've got with them as they're unable to provide any further updates with regards to this matter.

I'll keep this ticket open so we can periodically check DSL Checker and the Openreach site.

How can a company do this??????

They confirmed we have a FAULT  well over 3 months ago and told us we have been temporarily moved to a degraded line, now they are saying that this is "this is a long term project with no definitive timescales".

They have CLOSED the fault case on their system????

Like I say, Cabinet 14 (almost equal distance to Cabinet 15) and also Cabinet 4 are FTTC enabled currently as per their website. It's only the cabinet we are connected to which doesn't have FTTC. As far as I know, Cabinet 4 is newer and Cabinet 15 was only installed a month back! (I suspect when they said they were working on the line, they were actually talking about Cabinet 15 which is a brand new box with new overhead lines).

All I want is the ability to stream videos without buffering and connect to my employers VPN netowork reliably without the high latency and fluctuating speeds day in and day out.

Can we start to look at the possibility of having our line connected to Cabinet 15 please, even if I have to pay this???

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

I do completely appreciate your frustration. I've sent a few more e-mails over to Openreach now for further clarification and information with regards to what's happening with this.

Can we start to look at the possibility of having our line connected to Cabinet 15 please, even if I have to pay thisHuh

Unfortunately, as FTTC is not showing as available for your line we're unable to place a fibre order (Or even make any modifications to your existing fibre service).

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gladstone
Rising Star

Well.... we were informed that Openreach planned to work on the fault and potentially cut us off for 1 - 2 hours yesterday but in actual fact we've had no connection since 9am yesterday so this is actually turned into 26 hours so far Sad

Hopefully when it eventually comes back online the speed will be slightly better, although I don't feel at all positive at all! 

Gandalf, I've already spoken to the helpline and they advised (twice) to call back in a few hours. You probably don't have any more information than they do though. They mentioned they can't contact Openreach until 24 hours have elapsed? Crazy2

Hopefully my next post will be the end of this thread and I'll finally be able to click the Thanks button! Embarrassed

Gladstone
Rising Star

Thanks to all who helped with this, especially Gandalf. Openreach finally have us connected to the cabinet nearest to us and the speeds are great. Hopefully they stay fairly stable.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Good things come to those who wait!!! - glad to hear it's finally sorted.

Gandalf most certainly would not have known anything more about this - I believe he's still in the Southern hemisphere. There was a nasty rumour going about that PlusNet management had locked him out of the forums to ensure he enjoyed his holiday!!!

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Really happy to hear this is finally resolved and you've got a much, much, much better speed.

I've updated your ticket with an offer of a gesture of goodwill.

Gandalf most certainly would not have known anything more about this - I believe he's still in the Southern hemisphere.

And I'm back. Cheesy

There was a nasty rumour going about that PlusNet management had locked him out of the forums to ensure he enjoyed his holiday!!!

Nothing that management did. I changed my forum password to something I wouldn't be able to remember, and would only be able to reset it using our internal systems.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gladstone
Rising Star

Well it's been a week.... and I'm happy to say the line appears to have stabilised even faster than we ever imagined!

I know this entire thread has been quite negative, but I really do have to thank Anoush and the team for persevering and sorting this out in the end. 

I appreciate that if it wasn't for you keeping on the back of Openreach and constantly asking for updates that the whole cabinet swap would have probably taken a lot longer.

My neighbours are also very happy and I've been happily recommending Plus.net when asked.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Welcome to the fast lane!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm glad to hear your line is still holding strong at a really fast speed. Cheesy

No problems at all for the support. Please feel free to let me know if you need any further help.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet