Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra Guarenteed 39.8Mb but only getting 5.2Mb

FIXED
Gladstone
Rising Star

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra Guarenteed 39.8Mb but only getting 5.2Mb

Seems by switching from the BT speedtest username, then back to plusdsl.net it has bumped the speed back to normal. Still nowhere near 40Mb though, guess they've not put us back onto Fibre just yet Sad

It does say I should raise a fault for "poor service throughput performance after the third test" though....

bt line test.jpg

@Gladstone wrote:

Sigh....... as it's (almost) the end of November I thought we were about to see an end to all months of problems...

We came home tonight (roughly 8pm) to find the router was flashing orange. I hoped against all hope that this might have been because they finally switched our line back onto FTTC (or back onto the correct cabinet, I get confused what's actually been done now!!).

Rebooted the router and it appeared to work okay, however only for a few minutes though, then back to flashing orange. Decided to power it off until the kids finally settled, possibly to choose a new gateway (?)... now it's blue again but the speed it soooooo slow, and router still only syncing at 1181 / 6050.

Here's the BT line test result, this is with connection by Ethernet to my works laptop which is fairly clean of apps and definitely no other devices using any data at all as I temporarily turned off wi-fi whilst I was looking at the router stats page;

line test.jpg

I'm going to do the further tests using the speedtest@speedtest_domain and will report back if I get reconnected!

Can you please run tests at your end and possibly check if something has happened with the transfer back to FTTC?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Double quote removed.

Gladstone
Rising Star

We've got a response back from Openreach (from the query I raised back on the 31st October).

Thank you for contacting Openreach. I apologise for the delay in responding to your enquiry. I have passed on this query to another team within Openreach to investigate further as I can't see any outstanding orders for works on Cabinet 15. I expect to have a response within 7 days and we will come back to you as soon as we have had a reply

Hi Anoush,

Thanks for the reply and following it up. 

I really want to wager a bet that the first BT engineer was correct in telling me that our line was wired "via" Cabinet 15 then along to Cabinet 4..... it all seems to fit. What do I know though....

There has been absolutely no change in speed, still get max 5Mb on speedtest.net when wi-fi switched off and only laptop connected by Ethernet. That's pretty much what the router stats say is max line speed.

Really really hope they will get this fault fixed soon. The connection has never been what was guaranteed since we moved in here in April, and no increase since Plusnet sold us up to the Fibre Extra product which guaranteed minimum 39.8Mb. Paying just short of £40/month for what BT tell us is an ADSL connection is really getting to me.

For what it's worth, I submitted a complaint to Plusnet but haven't heard anything back apart from the initial confirmation it was received. 

Sigh........

Gladstone
Rising Star

Openreach Fibre Checker website says they are still working on the Cabinet....

cabinet15.jpg

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Our suppliers have advised us that your service was moved to the ADSL equipment as a temporary measure since the work started, so it's unlikely you've been on it since you had fibre.

With regards to the complaint you've raised to us, it's unlikely to help I'm afraid as I think I'm doing everything we can to resolve this.

We're due an update from Openreach by Thursday.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gladstone
Rising Star

Hi Gandalf,

I appreciate you're doing all you can, I really do, I don't mean to have a go at you personally. 

Openreach / BTW just seem to be frustratingly slow with updates and don't seem to give any definitive answers.

No point on me speculating further until we hear back on Thursday. I'll not hold my breath on the fault being completely fixed though Sad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We've got a response back from Openreach advising that there is no date for the Live to Live migration between cabinets to complete, so sadly it looks like we've got to wait this one out. I'll aim to check back every couple of weeks.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Lord I was contemplating upgrading to Fibre but after reading this thread and looking at what others have said I'm not so sure Sad

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Gandalf, give me a nudge about this one tomorrow/early next week. I may be able to help.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gladstone
Rising Star

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for letting me know.

So they've finished "working on the cabinet" but can't give us a date for actually swapping the ADSL conenctions onto the FTTC ones?

It's highly frustrating that I can't complain directly to Openreach as it seems so ridiculous that we are paying nearly £40/month for the top package FTTC but your suppliers are unable to say when they can actually provide us with it.

I do really appreciate your help and I know you are doing everything you can. 

I'd cross fingers for Christmas, just to use streaming services reliably... but it seems quite unlikely now Undecided

Bob,

If there's any strings you can pull on this one I'd be highly impressed. It really does seem like it's just wires in the local cabinet that need to be swapped over though, as far as Openreach have told Gandalf. (Yes, I know it's not as simple as that of course or they'd ave done it already)

Gladstone
Rising Star

Hi Our speed has plummeted in the last two days. I reset the router again this morning hoping it would improve.

We are only getting less than 1Mb download as per attached tests.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6895808599

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6895815388

This is tested by connecting my laptop directly to ethernet and turning off wifi on the router. Like I say I've also reset the router multiple times as you'll probably see on your diagnostics.

Can I ask for a line test please, or is there anything else I can try?

I'm getting so sick of this fault that's been well over three months now and STILL paying almost £40 for a connection we can hardly use.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies for the delay in responding. I'll nudge Bob when I see him next online.

Can I ask for a line test please, or is there anything else I can try?

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 5.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1915.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Can you complete the BT speedtester including the further diagnostics for us?

Www.speedtest.btwholesale.com

When this is resolved, I'll be happy to discuss a gesture of goodwill with you.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just an update. I’ve discussed this with Bob earlier today. I’ve escalated this back to the contacts within Openreach I’m in touch with. And Bob’s reached out to one of his contacts.

I’ll post back when we’ve got more info.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gladstone
Rising Star

Hi Gandalf

Based on no complaints from the kids as soon as I walked in earlier, it seems the fault / issue has resolved now. Speedtest.net results are looking about normal.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6900542797

I was just a bit miffed this morning as I was trying to book tickets for something before I headed out to work and it was impossible.

Hopefully hear back from Openreach, even a rough date for the switch over if not more detailed info.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

We get routine notifications covering Live 2 Live cabinet migrations, there's been nothing come through for your line/cabinet though.

That said, I have it on good authority from OR that your line is part of an in flight migration.

I've asked the person overseeing the L2L project for further detail, because a few things aren't quite right here. Firstly, FTTC availability should only disappear for ~2 weeks which doesn't seem to be the case for your number. Secondly, we should have been notified and there should also be a planned engineering works notice covering the migration (I can't find either).

How quick I get answers (if at all) depends on people's availability over the Christmas period.

The good news is - you can expect a significant speed increase at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gladstone
Rising Star

Thank you for your patience.

Our suppliers have basically advised that sadly it'll take as long as it takes I'm afraid.

We've been advised to check the Openreach website for updates. My colleague Bob hasn't heard back from his contacts yet.

I'm putting this ticket on hold until the 31st January which is the last day I've got before my annual leave for most of February.

If we've got no news then, my colleagues will check periodically.

Hi Gandalf and Bob,

I appreciate you're doing all you can, this is why I have always been a Plus.net customer rather than an ISP that only has support channels thousands of miles away... but I really am not happy.

We've been paying the Premium £38.98 (line rental and FTTC) since 08/09/17 to "upgrade" our current connection to 44-60Mb but as per this thread, the connection has never moved much above 5Mb (it's actually synched at 6Mb at the moment but I know it won't stay there for long). The original connection when we moved house on 01/04/17 was ~10Mb, which we felt having moved from a 38Mb connection at our old house.

Openreach have given so much erroneous information since I opened this thread.

So now we've just to "wait until it's reconnected to FTTC" but they can't give a rough estimate for when their engineers plan to do the work?Huh

I work as a service engineer myself, both reactive and project work for oil companies and we always give our customers an ETA for work completion. It just seems crazy / impossible that Openreach operate in this way.

This isn't about the money we pay, but I just can't see how we can be paying for 44-60Mb FTTC when Openreach have already advised that we have been moved onto ADSL (without ANY forewarning) and they don't have any date for reconenction to FTTC.

I drive past the cabinet (15) at least twice a day and have never noticed any sort of work happening. 

I also strongly suspect that the very first engineer that visited and told us we are in fact connected to Cabinet 4 was correct, but only (more) time will tell if that's the case. Our last house was always connected to Cabinet 4 (FTTC) and he suspected that they didn't ever disconnect us from it but patched the new line in via Cabinet 15 to our new house.

Sorry for the rant but I just feel I have been too subdued......

Clipboard01.jpg