cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband Drops

mrbcsd

Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband Drops

Hi there,

I have over the last 3 weeks encountered 2-3 broadband drops during the day for up to 5 minutes each, no trends as to when this can be:

- DSL light on BT OpenReach modem stays on during these drops

- WiFi stays connected and can access the LAN at all times during the drops

- Hard wired devices stay connected and can access the LAN at all times during the drops

- Loss of internet access seen on multiple devices simultaneously

- Router detects no broadband drops

- Speed tests all come back normal

- Tried different routers

- All hardware, cables, power outlets have been swapped excluding the OpenReach modem

- Everything has had a 10 min+ power pull

I am thinking that this must be down to an aging modem (6+ years) unless we can have a look at the radius logs please?

Cheers.

3 REPLIES 3
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband Drops

Hi @mrbcsd, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've been having a dropping connection issues as of recent. Testing your connection we are picking up the potential cause of the drops you've been seeing as we are seeing the fault reported: "

Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network" This looks to have caused your profile on our suppliers side to band the speed also that's currently capped at 67Mbps. When testing your line there aren't any underlying issues being detected there. As the fault we are detecting requires an engineer to come out and investigate further I'd recommend 2 further checks are done before hand to make sure it's nothing internal behind the issue.

I'd advise first of all if you haven't already to plug your set-up into your test socket and see if the drops persist. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
Given the frequency of the drops I'd advise leaving in this setup for at least 24 hours if it's not clear it's helped when you are monitoring. By all means drop us a further message and we'll happily check to see if it's been dropping in this set-up.

The other thing I'd recommend we try ruling out if the test socket check doesn't work is the modem. This being due to the equipment age as you've mentioned and seems to be one of the few things not yet ruled out as the potential cause. Unfortunately we no longer supply modems and now our routers are both modem/router functional meaning you don't need the 2 pieces of equipment.

As the router is certainly well out of warranty at the point then we would have to look at the new router options seen below:
- A new router can be purchased at any point for £99 + £6.99 Postage and packaging

- If you're out of contract and wanting a new router you could re-contract and get new monthly discounts set up we could waver the £99 and it would just be the £6.99 P+P left to pay.
If you're looking to re-contract and get a new router out our customer options team can be contacted directly on: 0800 013 2632

- A 3rd party router can be purchased your side and we can send the relevant details you'd need to set it up with our connection (VDSL compatible modem+router).

Let us know how it goes and if the test socket check looks to help at all.

mrbcsd

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply. I don’t have a micro filter so guess I can’t do the master socket test? I have an ADSL cable straight from the modem into the faceplate of the network socket on the wall as there is a phone connection AND broadband connection on the same faceplate.

Also the OpenReach modem goes into a Ubiquiti USG so if I was to get the replacement router, can I use it in bridge mode?

Thanks,
(also) Ben.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, no problem, it would be best to rule out the modem and router next in that case. The Hub One doesn't allow use in bridge mode but as Ben mentioned it's an all in one modem/router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team