Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Broadband Extra - Slow speed

FIXED
Jiggy28sh
Fixes: 1

Unlimited Broadband Extra - Slow speed

As the title says, I am paying for 80mb/s but am only receiving about 27.3mb/s. It has been this way for some weeks. Is there anything you can do to increase the speed. Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Unlimited Broadband Extra - Slow speed

I have posted a similar issue, I see that others have too. There seems to be a general slow down and in some cases this looks quite spectacular. It could be that with our changed circumstances due to Covid-19 that more have upgraded to FTTC and the slowdown is increased use or interference. I think if it was increased use reducing capacity there would be faster periods during the day or especially night, so maybe interference, but I see my profile is being reduced bit by bit, that could be DLM or it could be human intervention.

I looked at BT a month or so ago to see what speeds they were offering. Back then if memory serves it was around 43Mbps, yesterday it was exactly the speed that my PlusNet connection is delivering and the speed set on my profile. So BT is perhaps behind the speed drop? Cynics say that FTTC is being slowed down to make FTTP more attractive when it becomes available.

It is not available at my address seemingly but is available to order at some addresses further along the road on my Exchange. If there is increased take up of FTTP do you suppose the freed-up capacity on FTTC will result in faster speeds?

I don't.  

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Jiggy28sh  and @danludlow 

I suggest you log your problem via the link given by @EmilyD  and in the notes say what your minimum guaranteed speed is supposed to be per your original contract renewal email. They will then look into it and check your line.

But ensure you are testing via an ethernet cable direct to the router and *not* Wi-Fi as Wi-Fi is customer responsibility as they have no control over it.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your advice @wakeman 

pl1974
Hooked

Same issue here now less than 10mbps this evening. Total frustration....

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @pl1974 Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Jiggy28sh

Hi all, thanks for the replies. My connection should be 78mb/s. I live in a small village of only 70 ish houses and am less than 200 metres for the cabinet. My connection shouldn't suffer that much surely. Am on nights and can't get into faults atm from work. Will try what EmilyD suggests later on when I'm off.

I only test my connection using a cat 5a Ethernet cable with all Wi-Fi equipment turned off.

Thanks again all.

Jiggy28sh

Fix

Update.

Broadband problem finally sorted. Thanks to all that helped. Now getting 63 mb/s download and 18.6 mb/s upload and is still increasing slowly.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@Jiggy28sh Glad to hear that your speed issue is sorted. It's taken a long time hasn't it.

Mine remains slower than it was, but since it's inside my minimum contracted speed I decided to leave it for now and just monitor it (PlusNet/Openreach will not see it as a fault so intervention unlikely). However a fortnight ago the speed increased about 2.5Mbps and I thought I was on a winner. It has since dropped back about 1-1.5Mbps so I've stopped cheering! 

Many months ago it was discovered that my DLM had been set on "stability" rather than the normal "Speed and Stability" setting. When this was changed my speed returned. No reason was why the setting was "stability" as it was not requested. I wouldn't be surprised to find that my DLM has again been set on "stability" it could well be the default for my connection on Openreach paperwork? 

Maybe something as simple as a wrong box ticked in original paperwork?

lukesayers

Hi I signed up for Unlimited Fibre Extra broadband with a minimum speed of 47.5Mb. We are getting download speed of 20.8 and upload of only 14.3. Can this be resolved please

Thanks

Luke

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi Luke,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear about the speed issue and can confirm your speed diagnostic today shows a downstream of 67.4 Mpbs, upstream of 20.0. If your speed test was done over Wi-Fi please connect devices such as PCs, laptops, games consoles and TVs to your router via Ethernet cable, leaving the Wi-Fi for devices such as mobiles and tablets.

Please also try some troubleshooting and changing your router channels: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

This third party link discusses common causes of Wi-Fi interference in case you are losing the signal because of other sources of interference: https://activereach.net/support/knowledge-base/connectivity-networking/wifi-interference/

You can also try connecting your router to the test socket: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Thanks - LF