cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhappy with fibre broadband

HughB

Unhappy with fibre broadband

Have been with Plusnet since March on their basic fibre package. Previously I was with BT on their top ordinary broadband package. i was expecting a better broadband service because I had upgraded to fibre, but that hasn't been the case. 

All my family are saying the service is worse, particularly my youngest son. He plays on his Xbox with his friends. Previously, he was on a par with them. Now he is lagging more than them. Also, the service drops out altogether much more than with BT.

I have checked the speed on a couple of sites, and got download speeds of 32.5 mbps and 33.5 mbps, upload speeds of 7.6 mbps and 9.01 mbps. To my untechnical eye these speeds look reasonable, but my family's experience does not reflect this.

I am wondering whether the Plusnet router is inferior to the BT one, eventhough BT own Plusnet.

I have looked at Plusnet technical help, but nothing seems to explain the relative poor performance.

Do other people have the same experience and have they resolved it?

17 REPLIES 17
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Unhappy with fibre broadband

Why not try the BT Router or the BT Smart Hub 6  you will have to re enter correct details for plunet but instructions are in the thread

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Broadband/page/3/thread-id/306720

See post 41 on above thread. Re setting up BT SMART HUB

For Setting Other BT HHubs

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/td-p/1192234

read this thread

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/td-p/1504366/page/6

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

We've fully tested your line and that's not showing any problems.

If the majority of your devices connect over wireless it may be worth going through the steps here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jude-2002
Hooked

I to have had constant low speed since going over to fibre December 2016!!I am constantly on the phone that seems to be a total waste of time as nothing is done or followed through its been the whole 18 months of the worst broadband. I last spoke to them approx. 2 weeks ago after running through the checks and then doing several speed checks h at different time the guy agreed 7.8 up load speed was not good I explained its been like this for 2 weeks and now 2 weeks on I have now reached the point of where to go from here I have no idea what to do???I am just done with plusnet...

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @jude-2002,

Looking at the last few tests that were run on your connection from our side shows the service was in sync at 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload, which is the maximum sync speed for the package you're on.

Do you experience the same speed issues on both a wired and a wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jude-2002
Hooked

I have monitored my speed tests regular with several different ones over 4 weeks now.. And the readings that you mention are not quite what I am getting. The upload range from 7.4 /8.7 and was told buy the person. I last spoke to that I should be getting a lot more for fibre optic. Some days I can barely run a laptop and amazon fire stick...if fibre optic cannot cope with that I'm open to any suggestions! Please.

jude-2002
Hooked

In reply to wired or wifi the readings from speed tests are the same no difference. When i spoke to plusnet he told me I should be getting a lot more than I actually am receiving. As I said this has been 18 months of plusnets hit and miss game regarding fibre optic when my contract is up in December...I'm gone.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi jude-2002

The throughput speeds you receive will always be below the sync speed. What speeds are you seeing today?

Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jude-2002
Hooked

Thankyou for your response. But I have decided to wait out the 5 months on my contract, clearly moving from standard broadband to fibre optic was a huge error on my part,going on given information from plusnet. I now refuse to allow plusnet to consume anymore of my time and I will just have to bite the bullet so to speak!!  Thankyou.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, we're here and always happy to help if you change your mind. - Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jude-2002
Hooked

No! This is not the package I'm on. My contract states fibre unlimited, down speed 40 Mpbs and up is 13 to 18 Mpbs up speed. I have rechecked my contact details and those are the figures on my contract. the whole reason for my move to fibre..

@HarryB wrote:

Hi @jude-2002,

Looking at the last few tests that were run on your connection from our side shows the service was in sync at 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload, which is the maximum sync speed for the package you're on.

Do you experience the same speed issues on both a wired and a wireless connection?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi jude-2002,

I've double checked your account. Harry is right in what he's said. If you wanted to achieve higher speeds than that you'd just need to move over to the Fibre Unlimited Extra package. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I suspect that the missing link here is that the OP was originally on the 40/20 service. This was changed to 55/10 (40/2 for new subscribers, now 40/10) some time ago but maybe the OP has been moved to 40/10 by mistake. Either way the 20Mbps upload that was available on the standard fibre package is no more.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

From what I can see they've never been on 40/20 or 55/10.

@jude-2002 can you try the steps here letting us know how you get on?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jude-2002
Hooked

I don't quite know how plusnet work. But I have my contract In front of me! And it clearly states 24 month contract for fibre unlimited. Upload speed 13-18 Mpbs...I think I need to ask plusnet how and when that changed to what I'm being told on plusnet community now! To. E honest I have never heard of 40/20 or 55/10. I will try The steps you mention. Thankyou.