Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected availability of FTTP rather than FTTC

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Unexpected availability of FTTP rather than FTTC

I moved into a new house about 3 years ago and had a very easy move of my ADSL from my last address. But sadly being some miles from the exchange we only get from 1.5 to 2M.
Although there are plenty of FTTC cabinets in the town and not too far away, our new estate does not have such a cabinet.
I tried asking when we would have fibre - but got no sensible reply. I’ve been keeping an eye on any local BT Openreach activity and signs of a new FTTC cabinet, but sadly nothing.
A week ago I was on one of the switching sites and did a search on what deals I could get as I see lots of offers for new customers – yet I as a six year loyal customer of PN I get nothing.
To my surprise I saw that BT were offering fibre right up to 300M !, so I immediately went to the BT website to check and they confirmed it was available on my line. Checking with PN though there was no fibre offered at all.
So I set up a ticket to PN. Sadly I hadn’t got a reply or even acknowledgement a week later – so I phoned customer support and although courteous the agent couldn’t really help much. So being a long time member here I PM’ed one of the long time staff members ( no names ) and then things started to happen ( thank you ), but only an offer of FTTP trial and  still no answer why the web site doesn’t seem to know about the FTTP on our estate.
I asked for 38M unlimited fibre and on Wednesday the ticket was update confirming the order for FTTP but to my great surprise, this morning we were disturbed by noises outside the front door at 7.30 and soon after a ring on the doorbell. The Openreach technician advised they were doing the external works for the installation of fibre and I almost fell over!. Talking to them it seems BT have had fibre on our estate for two years or more.
This leads to wonder what is going on; why only BT retail offering fibre – not even their company Plusnet ???.
Luckily being a new estate BT put in a good underground ducting, so putting in fibre to premises is easy.
Hopefully the internal installation will go ahead just as well.
So if you are waiting for fibre – I would advise that you check on the BT website and if they offer it – ask PN why you can’t have it from them or move to BT.

4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Unexpected availability of FTTP rather than FTTC

you should check with this website http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput and the reason Plusnet don't offer FTTP on their website is that it is still a trial
Mal08
Rising Star

I'd already done that Jim it showed:
WBC FTTP Up to 330 Up to 30 -- Available
And out of curiosity I went for a look around and out of about 30 houses I walked past - I could see at least half had the fibre box on the wall. If I had known what to look for I could have had fibre ages ago it seems.
So still a trial???
deathtrap
Grafter

They only offer FTTC speed option though, Zen are doing FTTP now  upto 330mbps not exactly cheap mind
Mal08
Rising Star

Thanks for that.
I really don't need 300M - or rather the budget doesn't stretch that far.
But I had forgotten about Zen - it didnt come up on some of the comparative sites.
But I checked availability and could certainly get 38 or 76M - I would certainly have looked closer at them if I had known.
Even more strange that PN availability checker doesnt off fibre - I wonder how many other areas of the UK where they seem to missing out?