Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underperforming Fibre Speeds

BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Underperforming Fibre Speeds

Hi,

I was hoping someone could take a look at my fibre connection, I believe I should be getting better connection speeds, and I am not meeting my guaranteed speed of 55mbps. When I first joined Plusnet a couple of years ago I was achieving speeds of roughly 70/20, since then it has fallen to what it is at the moment 47/10. At the speed it is currently I get quite a good stable connection, and would not want to sacrifice stability for speed, but surely it could be better? Below I have included the current line stats from my hub one.

Screenshot_2021-04-07 Plusnet Hub Manager - Information for Helpdesk agents.png

Any help appreciated 😊.

8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Underperforming Fibre Speeds

Have you checked your phone line? Is it quiet?

BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

I've done the quiet line test with my current household phone, with no detectable noise, unfortunately it is a cordless phone as I haven't got a corded phone. I suppose if it's necessary I could try and borrow a corded phone off a neighbour, or buy a cheap one.

Any other ideas anyone?

BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Tried using a microfilter in the test socket yesterday to rule out any problems with the filtered faceplate with no improvement in speeds. Reconnected again today with the openreach mk4 faceplate in place again and have had a significant increase in upload speed, as can be seen below. Probably just a coincidence?

Screenshot_2021-04-12 Plusnet Hub Manager - Information for Helpdesk agents.png

Still need help to meet my minimum guaranteed download speed of 55Mbps.

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You'll need to call Customer Support / Tech Support on 0800 432 0200 and raise a problem, they should be able to action it if your speed is below the guaranteed minimum. 

I am going through this at the moment, my speed is at or just below -depending on your view point- the guaranteed minimum, but running the BT speedtest here convinced them I was not achieving the minimum speed.

Good Luck!!

BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Ran a couple of tests and it does appear that my Unlimited Fibre Extra is definitely being compromised. Looks like I'll be raising a fault or contacting customer support.

Screenshot_2021-04-13 BT Broadband.pngScreenshot_2021-04-13 BTW Performance Tester.png

Thanks for the help!

stevewx
Grafter

Specifically ask, 'has my line been banded'?  Can you check?

I've recently had mine unbanded and gained 16mbps on download.  It was only the D/L that was banded.  Up was and still is 20.

Plusnet can run that test.  That result will appear on the ticket you raise, under Profile Name.

Looks like you are banded to 47Meg and will never get faster that until it is removed - it's a software thing.

Takes a couple of minutes to remove, although it took me 6 weeks of calls, replies, and even an Openreach engineer that went away telling me, thanks for teaching him something he could use for others.

Cheers,

Steve

P.s. Edited as your DL noise margin is 8.6   That should end up at 6.0

BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

I've gone ahead and raised a fault ticket, and asked them to check if my line is banded. Fingers crossed it gets sorted quick.

Thank You.

BaxMaxTuck
Grafter

Update - Had a phone call from an openreach engineer yesterday, organised through the plusnet support team. He went through some checks with me and said he would try resetting my line, that seems to have done the job. I'm now achieving a DL speed of about 59Mbps, and meeting my guaranteed speed, which I'm happy with as long as it's stable. I'm assuming my line got banded at some point in the past when I have suffered from a lot of disconnections. Anyway, my connection has now been up for about 34hrs, here's hoping I have no more problems.

Thank You again!