cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptable speeds and customer service response

nos911
Dabbler

Unacceptable speeds and customer service response

Ever since joined plusnet on December 4th I have had extremely slow speeds and ridiculously high ping, today via a wired connection I am getting 664kbps on my Xbox one(when I hotspot via my phone I'm getting 41mbps).
I called customer support who said my connection speed is good(don't disagree with that) so it must be wireless interference(despite me saying several times its a wired connection).
My stats are as follows and proof omy slow speeds.
5. DSL uptime: 36 days, 15:56:35
6. Data rate: 20000 / 77860
7. Maximum data rate: 22746 / 75053
8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 4.4
9. Line attenuation: 9.8 / 9.5
10. Signal attenuation: 9.6 / 9.5
https://ibb.co/Xxbkr7X
Would you consider this acceptable?
Do you think I have a case of being allowed to move to a provider who can provide the service im paying for without penalty, especially given the refusal to send out anyone to look into the issue.
11 REPLIES 11
cOmp
Rising Star

Re: Unacceptable speeds and customer service response

Hello nos911,

You are syncing very well at approx 77Mbps which is the 80/20 package but your through is very very poor where did you get that 0.6Mbps speed result from (looks like Xbox dashboard)?

If you are syncing so high and what you see is a bizzmale 0.6 there is something seriously wrong. Are you using some form of telephone extension? If so can you try connecting your modem direct to the master socket?
Yorkshire and Proud. Embarrassed to be with Plusnet.
nos911
Dabbler

Im connected directly to the master socket, I was with TalkTalk before for 18 months without any issues at all.
The screenshot is from the Xbox dashboard, when I hotspot my phone it shoots up and stays between 37 and 41mbps so something is clear wrong with the plusnet connection, the last time I had issues like this was a few years ago with Vodafone and that was due to servere congestion(at a different address)and they said it could take up to 6 months to fix so cancelled.my contract.
The response from the staff yesterday though was ridiculous, they insisted it must be WiFi related and ignored the fact it was from a wired connection.
cOmp
Rising Star

Are you in a position to do a another wired speed test but from a PC/Laptop opposed to XBOX. I also have an XBOX and my speeds also influcuate depending on which server I'm connected at MS but it's never been that low.

Can you also confirm that you are not using any switches between your equipment and the modem/router that could be proritising your BW elsewhere.

I'm not going to defend Plusnet as I have a long ongoing issue with them anyway. If we the community know how your set up and the more info you provide the more this community can help.

I'm assuming you still have a ticket open for speed fault if so keep that open just in case a staff member reads this and decides to help.
Yorkshire and Proud. Embarrassed to be with Plusnet.
nos911
Dabbler

I've run speedtests via a laptop and I'm getting no higher than 5mbps and that's only in bursts, I've used different Ethernet cables aswell.
I use no switches at all, I just have my Xbox and set top box connected directly to the router(only one on at a time) and occasionally my laptop wired in, my phone and tablet are wireless and never connected when using the Xbox.

It has to be an issue with Plusnet, as I say previously at this address I had no issues at all with speeds on any device, now I struggle to get above 20mbps on the 5ghz band, the 2.4ghz band is only marginally better and wired is woeful.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Before Plusnet can raise a speed issue , they will need a wired speedtest using the BT wholesale speedtester https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ so it might be worth running one of those and posting the results.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mkbroadband

You are not the only one with speed issues. I was previously with BT for many years without any issue, I moved to Plusnet around 2 years ago, I've had problems but these appeared to have most likely been with OpenReach.

I started to pick up slow downs in the evening, as I noticed very poor quality of 4K streaming (Netflix and Prime). I know without a doubt this started in October 2020 (possibly earlier and I didn't pick it up) and I created a ticket shortly afterwards after running many tests on differnet days with differnt hardware. I've been trying to get Plusnet to sort it out ever since.

This is not a hardware issue, I have the same results with the Plusnet router, a BT OpenReach modem with D-link router, and a TP-Link with built in ADSL. The computer is also wired, it's not on wifi (The first thing I get told from Plusnet and OpenReach). The D-Link router also has speed test built into it.

My normal download speed is just under 60, During the day I do indeed get the full speed, however test it after 8pm and it's a lucky dip of anything from as low as 5 up to 30 on a good day. I test it with Btwholesale and right after it Okla Speedtest.

I was told a couple of weeks ago by Plusnet to run 3 tests one hour apart on BT Wholesale and then Openreach will be able to see those results, the engineer today tells me, no, that's not true, they can't see them.

Plusnet is saying that everything looks fine from their side, OpenReach are telling me that everything looks fine at their side. Problem is that OpenReach only work until 5pm, they have automatic tests to look back on at 6am, 6pm and midnight, so no peak hours! Plusnet closes at 8pm.

Multiple times I've updated the ticket with BTwholesale and Okla speed test results and waited for 30 to 40 minutes to speak with somebody, only to receive an update from Plusnet that everything is fine at their side. The BT engineer today said that if there was an equipment issue it would show during the day, not consistently in every evening.

This is not my problem and I have burned countless hours trying to get it resolved. The speed I am receiving is not the minimum that I should be receiving it, and there appears to be no resolution in site. I'm going to give it a few more days for BT to pass the latest tests back to Plusnet only for them to tell me all is well, and then I will be looking for a new provider as they are not giving me the minimum I should receive, no matter what I'm told, the screenshots of all the tests show this (see attached).

If I had to hazzard a guess, I'd say that Plusnet is throttling the service in the evening. I did ask if this was the case in my last ticket post but it was totally ignored and I received the 'your internet if all good' message.

Unfortunately I don't live in an area where I can get 5G, but once they bring it, I'll be moving away from wired connections, goodbye OpenReach.

I'm disappointed, Plusnet need to take ownership of this issue and get it fixed, they are not 'doing me proud'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@mkbroadband wrote:

I was told a couple of weeks ago by Plusnet to run 3 tests one hour apart on BT Wholesale and then Openreach will be able to see those results, the engineer today tells me, no, that's not true, they can't see them.

I understand that to have the results recorded so that Plusnet/Openreach can view them you must go on and complete the second stage 'Additional Diagnostic' test.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mkbroadband

Thanks for that. Plusnet never mentioned doing that when they asked me to do it, and Openreach just said they can't see results of those tests. You'd think one of them would/should have known to point that out.

I'll run some tests this evening on the advanced.

It appears this problem is spread around my local streets as quite a few people are posting on facebook that their broadband, like mine are dropping as low as 2meg after 8pm. This has been going for months on end, and they have just been told "it's your wifi" sent new routers and of course still have the same problem. Multiple providers, so either multiple providers are throttling or Openreach is failing to admit they have a problem. When they called me the other day they insisted it's fine at their side and it's Plusnet.

It is the providers responsibilty to liase with Openreach when there is a problem as Openreach won't talk directly to customers. I'm getting rather tired of spending so much time on this!

A few neighbours including myself are going to report the issue to Ofcom, hopefully with enough reports, somebody will get this fixed.

Roll on 5G!

mkbroadband

BT whole advance test ran. 23meg, way below my daily of almost 60 and way below the minimum acceptable 40

nos911
Dabbler

Just ran the wholesale test and I'm getting 15.27mbps download and 17.29mbps upload with a ping of 95ms, that is the highest download speed I've had in over a week.
mkbroadband

Make sure you run their ADVANCED TEST, and then DOWNLOAD it, so you can post it here. Also, so I am told, Plusnet and Openreach have access to it as advanced tests are saved.