Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to upgrade to Fibre Extra

Richiebow1
Dabbler

Unable to upgrade to Fibre Extra

Hi,
Just wondering why I cannot upgrade to Fibre extra to benefit from higher upload speeds from the current 1.9mb that I am currently capped too on Fibre unlimited.
I have called PN support and been told that the cabinet that I am connected too is not eligible for this package (which is incorrect as I have family members on this package whom are connected via the same Cabinet).
Any chance any of the Plusnet staff can try and nudge my profile through to the Fibre extra package as I am more than happy to pay the extra If I can have this done. I understand there will be minimal impact on the download speed as I currently only get 17mb download but need better upload for live streaming on PC etc.
Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Unable to upgrade to Fibre Extra

Hi you can not upgrade because you need to be able to get over 40Mb download to be able to have extra and such the higher upload even if your willing to pay for it,  PN support fed you cack it's nothing to do with the cab it's your line and the distance to it.
if your line estimate states you could get over 40Mb on the higher end of the range then you could have a case to be manually moved to 80/20 as the plusnet system only takes the lowest number into account and nothing more.
if you go here and enter you phone number it will state your line estimates  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
post the results ( don't  post your phone number)  we will be able to see if you have a case but looking at your download you may not.
only other option is if you need more upload go to a different ISP like Sky or BT they offer 40/10   
warpkid
Grafter

I'm in the exact same boat. Plusnet staff said they would look into manually upgrading me a few days ago but since replying to Matty I have heard nothing more about it.
I'm getting away from this bargain basement ISP as fast as I can.
Richiebow1
Dabbler

It sounds like a case of "computer says no" rather than them actually just taking a little extra money off me and making me a happy customer. 
Do I have a 30 day cool off or something along those lines to cancel?  As I was only installed on 18.09.15 and BT sound like the next best ISP to get this sorted. I'm sure they offer a 40/10 package.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

its the weekend give them a chance to look it lads Smiley then you can think about moving 😜
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Richiebow1
Do I have a 30 day cool off or something along those lines to cancel? 

You have 14 days to cancel, starting from day that the order is accepted *not* when service has been provided (which is often a lot later than this!!) 
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@Richiebow1, with 17Mbps down I suspect your maximum achievable upstream may not be that great but unless you can post the (BT Wholesale) line estimates as suggested in the first reply there's no way of knowing.
It's technically possible for Plusnet to transfer you to Fibre Extra (though it has to be done manually by someone who knows how to bypass/override the 'computer that says no'), if you are happy to pay extra for what is estimated for your line (and accept you may get more or less than that) then what do Plusnet have to loose?
Please note, it cost Plusnet to have your line regraded (up od down I believe) so, to be fair, you'd need to be sure you want to pay more for the (possibly modest) increase in upstream rate and not just decide to go back to the cheaper product after a short time - maybe this is one reason why Plusnet are reluctant to provide Extra on what may be marginal lines (in terms of real improvement available).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Richiebow1
Dabbler

Well well,  wasn't expecting to see those for figures.  Surely they have to upgrade me on those figures?  
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Looks like you've used the address based version of the checker, the phone number version is supposed to be more accurate (though it should give a similar result (you'd have thought)).
Does the phone number give the same (similar) speed range?

Would certainly be nice if you got close to those figures but if you're getting 17 down now then simply changing to Extra wouldn't normally change that (it's a bit like expecting a mobility scooter to go faster in a 60mph speed limit compared with a 30mph limit).  Just need to know why your actual speed is so much lower than that estimate.

I have called PN support and been told that the cabinet that I am connected too is not eligible for this package

This advice concerns me since all (Openreach FTTC) cabinets have the same capability, they can all supply up to 80/20 it's distance from cabinet and line quality (or any faults present) that affects what you get.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Richiebow1
Dabbler

Phone number check brings back similar results.  Will upload a photo later as trying to do so on my phone which is proving difficult. Removed last photo due to showing full address.
Richiebow1
Dabbler

I was told the reason behind the 17mb is too many people connected to the cabinet i am on which seems unlikely. Will be calling them again tonight if I can bare their 30 minute call queues.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Will upload a photo later

We don't need a photo - all you need to do is copy/paste direct from the results web page.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Richiebow1
Dabbler

Apparently now I'm getting this when I do a check. Fibre isn't even an option on the list based on my landline number.  Huh
Richiebow1
Dabbler

This is the speed test. obviously the maximum possible upload is going to show as 2mb as that's what the profile has been set at due to it being capped on the fibre unlimited package right?
With them speeds I'm wondering if it is even worth paying for fibre? I can probably get the same from ADSL.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: w23
Please note, it cost Plusnet to have your line regraded (up od down I believe) so, to be fair, you'd need to be sure you want to pay more for the (possibly modest) increase in upstream rate and not just decide to go back to the cheaper product after a short time - maybe this is one reason why Plusnet are reluctant to provide Extra on what may be marginal lines (in terms of real improvement available).
That'd be my excuse in their boat. Customers tend to be fickle and unreasonable so I'd always try to avoid giving them an opportunity like that.
To paraphrase Dr. House: "Customers lie"