Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to stream music

FIXED
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Unable to stream music

Had a weird problem this evening. I do a radio show 3 times a week and had no problems until today.

I started IDJC (Linux Radio Broadcasting software) and tried to connect to the shoutcast server on a hosting site. While it would initially connect it wouldn't allow me to stream any music. The other DJ's in our group had no such problem.

For testing purposes I set up a shoutcast server on my own pc and then connected and could stream no problem with listeners connecting. So I know there is no problem with my set up, so I was wondering what could be blocking my streaming to my hosts server.

My internet connection seems to be ok otherwise although some web pages can be a tad slow to open.

would welcome any ideas.

Thanks for any replies Smiley

4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Unable to stream music

That's an odd one really. If it's allowing you to connect then I can't see any obvious reason it wouldn't let you stream.

I do note you say it allows you to 'initially connect' - do you experience problems after the initial connection?

Does the software come back with any errors?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hmmm

Putting 2 & 2 together and possibly making 5....

Does you run IDJC over a VPN to the hosts server?

Others a reporting very slow tariff over certain VPNs.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/VPN-no-longer-working/td-p/1345840/page/3

Richard

gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fix

@RichardB  I don't use a VPN but thanks for the idea

@Chris  The only indicator in the gui is a coloured strip, green when good and red when bad, so while it initially shows green it rapidly changes to red after connection and after a minute or so disconnects.

SOLVED [fingers-crossed]

I couldn't find any error logs so started IDJC via the terminal so I could view the output. Discovered there was a problem with Jackd. Jackd is the mixer used by IDJC and needs to operate in realtime. Therefore entries have to be made into /etc/security/limits.conf to allow this. At sometime during an update limits.conf was replaced without my knowledge so these entries were no longer there. I've now replaced the entries and tested and all seems to be working.

Many thanks for your comments

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Great to hear you found the issue and sorted it!

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.