Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to stream TV

clairecable
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Unable to stream TV

Totally fed up with plusnet at this point! From them trying to bill me £200 for my first bill which took ages to get resolved to the fact I’m struggling to stream through my Samsung smart tv. The internet connection just keeps dropping and disconnects from the internet when I’m watching Amazon prime or All4 which are the two services o watch through my tv. It’s driving me round the bend because it’s sometimes doing it literally every few seconds. The most I manage to watch on average before it does it again is about 3 minutes. Seriously wish I’d never moved given all the issues I’ve had with plusnet - worst internet provider ever! Never had this problem with my old provider. Clearly not getting the speeds that plusnet promised. Totally substandard.
8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Unable to stream TV

@clairecable If you want help to resolve this through the Community, we need a little more information. If, however, you have just come to vent, then I'm sure the many community members who try to help will be happy to let you vent.

Hopefully, one of the Plusnet Help team will pick this up, but they are few and far between at the moment, and would still need most of the same information from you.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @clairecable

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems with your service. Saying that, I've run some tests on the line which have shown no issues with your broadband speed. The line appears to be in sync, with download speeds of around 79Mbps.

drop outs are apparent, which are expected on most lines from time to time, however nothing on the scale that you're reporting. This indicates (to me) that the issues you're having are with the wireless signal. I'd kindly advise you to check out the following articles on boosting your wireless signal, and as @jab1 has mentioned, you may may that splitting the wireless bands on your router helpful, it certainly did the trick for me.

For help boosting your WIFI signal, please click here

Also, for help with splitting the wireless bands, please click here

I'll also pop out test results below for your reference. Please feel free to reach out if you have any further queries. If you decide to do so, please provide us with further information such as how you're connected to the router (wired or wireless) which will enable us to provide more efficient support.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 79.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 205.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2021-05-28T11:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 858.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
clairecable
Dabbler

Well I’ve been regularly testing my download speeds and they’re no where near the speeds you’re getting so not sure now you’re getting that. At 7pm last night for example I got 6.62Mbps and at 10am this morning 15.95Mbps. This is fairly standard and no where near the 79Mbps you suggest.

I already have a filtered socket and have tried the usual tricks, like I said I’ve never had an issue with my fibre broadband until moving to plusnet, so clearly a plusnet issue. I only moved because plusnet were significantly cheaper, but I’m now thinking it wasn’t worth the stress and hassle it’s involved.
jab1
Legend

OK, @clairecable - so can you please give us: - the result of a wired speed test from here:- https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

and sight of your routers Help Desk page, with personal information obscured?

John
clairecable
Dabbler

Too be honest I suspect it’s the crappy router you send out when you sign up. The one I used from my previous supplier was far superior, but stopped working when switched. Will have to see if I can get the old one working again. It’s just a real nuisance and frustrating as a disabled customer as although I’m fairly tech savvy it’s not as straightforward as just going and getting the old router and setting it back up.
jab1
Legend

@clairecable - depending on who your previous provider was, the old router may be locked to their network, so unusable on Plusnet. A safe much more reliable, easy to setup/configure option is a BT HH6 from that well known auction site.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@clairecable  Were these  poor speed tests using a wired ethernet cable connected to the router, if not and were over a wi-fi connection they are meaningless, Plusnet have no control over wi-fi speeds. Your line is connected at the maximum possible speeds for FTTC, there is no problem with the Plusnet service. The problem is at your end.  I'd be interested to know what the usual tricks are that you have tried.🙄

jab1
Legend

@RealAleMadrid -I'm still waiting for a response to post #5.

John