cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to resolve DNS and 400+ms ping time

floods
Dabbler

Unable to resolve DNS and 400+ms ping time

We have only been with John-Lewis.com for a week, we have already had a bad router and now on Friday we started having very slow initial connections, Broadband Speed checker was slow to set up then reported 400+ ms ping but bandwidth was good. Now browsers frequently report that the DNS is unreachable or cannot resolve the address. Even the adverts can't load,

I have checked the various status pages but they say everything is good..... it sounds like the office is empty and the competent staff have gone home.

Any tips on getting through this.

Floods 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): IP removed from attachment in a public forum.

35 REPLIES 35
floods
Dabbler

Re: Unable to resolve DNS and 400+ms ping time

Can one of the staff on the forum please review this, I am having issues establishing a route across the network, it is exceeding the time outs, Pings are in excess of 400 ms and often the DNS is unreachable.

There is nothing I can do at my end to effect this?

floods
Dabbler

OK, two more results taken from my desktop PC (Windows 10) one at 19:00 and the second after 22:00...... the second is a very poor result. Hopefully somebody will be able resolve the network problem.

floods
Dabbler

One more result from my Desktop computer over 1GB Ethernet

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Pinging Google DNS is pointless as it has very low priority when responding to pings. Not really sure what your problem is.

I would also disable IPV6 as PlusNet do not support it.

floods
Dabbler

The issue is that web pages are not loading because they can't resolve their IP address, it varies by the time of day. The smart TV can't start its apps, it reports a network problem. If we are lucky once in a while we can get through this initial problem and the bandwidth performance is fine, the trouble is that many websites now use DNS to resolve components within the web page and the result is that page has loaded but the images do not.

I have switch lap tops to use a mobile hotspot and performance is greater than Broadband.

I am not sure why this post has not had the response from staff on the forum that other posts have.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Have you changed the IP address of the router we supplied you with?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

floods
Dabbler

I have mine own router behind the plusnet router which has a separate IP range. But I have a wired connection to a laptop to the plusnet router and have tested the poor routing and excessive delays.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The results you've attached show a gateway address of 10.0.0.1 which I presume not to be the John Lewis router. Exactly how have you set things up? Typically you'd need to have disabled DHCP on one of the two devices and the WAN IP of the secondary router would need to be inside the LAN subnet assigned to the John Lewis device. If you've simply daisy-chained the devices without making any config changes then it's likely you'll encounter problems.

It would be interesting to see some traceroutes to somewhere like ntp.plus.net during a period of time during which the problem is evident - both from a device wired to the secondary router and a device wired directly to the John Lewis device. If you can't resolve the hostname, you can use the IP address 212.159.6.10.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi

As Bob says daisy chaining routers can be problematic.

I do not know what router John Lewis supplies but I think you have some options:

1) See if you can disable DHCP in the JL router and set up one IP address as a DMZ (to bypass the firewall in the JL router). Then configure your own router to have a WAN IP address to match the JL routers DMZ address).

2) It the JL router can support "modem only" mode and your own router can manage the PPP authentication with PN, then use the JL router as a modem and authenticate to PN using your routert. Note PN Hub One routers do not support this.

2) If your own router can manage the PPP authentication with PN, ditch the JL router and use an OpenReach Modem to connect your router to the incoming BT line. For example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Openreach-Huawei-HG612-VDSL-FTTC-Fibre-Modem-Same-Day-Dispatch-/2019797...

If you can post the make & model of your router, I am sure the collective here will advise the best way forward.

Regards

Richard

Edit:  that ebay link seems to corrupt when I post (emoticon on the end etc) but looks OK when I edit.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RichardB, on behalf of the OP, it should be a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A. It's fairly fully-featured so should be capable of any of your suggestions.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi Bob,

I have read good things about the VMG8924-B10A Smiley

However, I understand that they can be customised/locked down by the ISP.

Is modem only mode available on JL supplied VMG8924-B10A's?

Richard

floods
Dabbler

As you would expect when you want to dig deeper into the problem the broadband is OK, as requested I have done a ping and trace route to NTP.plus.net from a PC sitting behind my router...... see attachment.

Later I will send you a diagram of my setup.

floods
Dabbler

Hi, please find attached a diagram of the JL router and my router config. I have done this so that I can easily change broadband providers without have to reconfigure my own network which seems to expanded very quickly and I expect more changes with more and more devices requiring a network connection. Also I do not trust the security of any ISP router.

I have done nothing to the JL router, it is preconfigured out of the box and just need to wait for it register with the network. Then my router is a Cable router (ethernet WAN connection) and that is connected to one of the LAN ports of the JL router, the IP address is connected via DHCP and wireless is disabled. Also the netgear router detected that there was another router between it and the internet and changed its IP subnet.

All routers employ NAT and include a firewall, so there is no issue with conflicts in IP addressing or the JL router being able to see devices other than the WAN port of the netgear router. When I get a new ISP I simply swap out the JL router with the new one and I don't have to go around the growing number of devices to ensure the network connection is established.

I understand that it adds one more network segment but the response time is less than 1 ms.

I hope this helps.

Sean

PS. I should add that I worked in IT for over 30 years, I am not a networking expert but with modern routers it is relatively easy to build what you want.

floods
Dabbler

Update I have done another Trace route because I was having problems loading "Reply to" pages.... See attachment