cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 17,663
Thanks: 656
Fixes: 162
Registered: 05-04-2007

Re: Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?

It's only an engineer that can request a line reset, you should find that if the line quality stays good and stable the speeds may increase over time.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
mossywell
Grafter
Posts: 46
Thanks: 12
Registered: 08-09-2016

Re: Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?

Yeah - that's the problem. It's not bad enough for PN to ask an engineer to fix it, and because I don't have a contract with BT, I can't ask them either. My perennial frustration with PN is the correlation between "it's not our network" and "we can do nothing about it". 

 

mossywell
Grafter
Posts: 46
Thanks: 12
Registered: 08-09-2016

Re: Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?

Latency.PNG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Latency graph. The 7-8ms continues to the left. Note how it's actually deteriorated again since BT's fix.

Two questions:

1. Are PN able to ask BT to switch it back to fastpath now that BT have fixed the street cabling problem?

2. Are PN willing to do this?

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 8,348
Thanks: 2,562
Fixes: 414
Registered: 21-04-2017

Re: Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?


Two questions:

1. Are PN able to ask BT to switch it back to fastpath now that BT have fixed the street cabling problem?


Afraid not, we aren't able to make adjustments or reset DLM.

DLM should automatically make adjustments where/if required.

 


2. Are PN willing to do this?

It's not a question of if we're willing. I'd happy do it/arrange for it to be done if it was possible. Currently the only way to reset DLM is for an engineer to contact their DCoE (Diagnostics Centre of Excellence) whilst on the job.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
mossywell
Grafter
Posts: 46
Thanks: 12
Registered: 08-09-2016

Re: Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?


Gandalf wrote:


Afraid not, we aren't able to make adjustments or reset DLM.

 


Right, but the question wasn't if you can (I know you can't), it's if you can get BT to do it? It seems mad that you can't. When I was on BT, the BT CS people could request it and the same with Sky. It feels sometimes like PN are kept so distant from BT that you capability to provide support is (let's say) severely hampered. From my perspective, it feels like "conveniently distant". Sad

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 4,287
Thanks: 907
Fixes: 181
Registered: 25-03-2015

Re: Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?


mossywell wrote:

Gandalf wrote:


Afraid not, we aren't able to make adjustments or reset DLM.


Right, but the question wasn't if you can (I know you can't), it's if you can get BT to do it?

I'm afraid not.

 


mossywell wrote:

It seems mad that you can't. When I was on BT, the BT CS people could request it and the same with Sky.

I don't believe they can on Fibre.

While ISP's can reset DLM on ADSL connections, I believe only Openreach can do this on Fibre connections currently.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm#DLM_reset :
~ DLM reset

With adsl/adsl2+ products, its possible for the ISP to reset the DLM.
For NGA products (Fibre) then the ISP cannot perform a reset and this can only be done by a BT Openreach engineer after clearance of a line fault.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
mossywell
Grafter
Posts: 46
Thanks: 12
Registered: 08-09-2016

Re: Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?


HarryB wrote:

I don't believe they can on Fibre.

While ISP's can reset DLM on ADSL connections, I believe only Openreach can do this on Fibre connections currently.


Can you feel my frustration? I say "can you please ask BT to do it?" and you say "we can't do it, only BT can do it." Now, you are an intelligent bunch and I'm sure therefore that you can see the fact that the answer doesn't answer the question?

 

I think what you are saying is "we can't do it, and we can't ask BT to do it either". But whenever I ask for cast-iron conformation, all I get back is a "we can't do it".

 

Re Sky, well I know that it happened. So, there is a very simple conclusion: they asked BT to do it?!

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 4,287
Thanks: 907
Fixes: 181
Registered: 25-03-2015

Re: Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?


mossywell wrote:

HarryB wrote:

I don't believe they can on Fibre.

While ISP's can reset DLM on ADSL connections, I believe only Openreach can do this on Fibre connections currently.


Can you feel my frustration? I say "can you please ask BT to do it?" and you say "we can't do it, only BT can do it." Now, you are an intelligent bunch and I'm sure therefore that you can see the fact that the answer doesn't answer the question?


I actually said Openreach.

I also went on to quote Kitz's website which states:

For NGA products (Fibre) then the ISP cannot perform a reset and this can only be done by a BT Openreach engineer after clearance of a line fault.

 

While I do completely understand and also share your frustrations, I am afraid that does not change the fact that this is not something that we can do or request to be done remotely.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team