cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?

mossywell
Grafter

Re: Unable to investigate latency of up to 100ms?

Absolutely right - it's change that's been noticed (though the OP was actually about PN's non-existent "policy" of not investigating until latency hits 100ms). 

Also, yes indeed, line rate is not reported correctly. Whether this is my router or a more generic issue is unknown.

Having said all of that, at 08:30 the sync speed finally nose-dived (just as it did before in November December last year) to 15 mbps. If the same pattern is repeated, I will now undergo a 6 week period with 15 mbps (yes, you saw that correctly), have 3 BT OR engineer visits all of whom report that there are no issues on the line and that it's PN's problem, PN will report that it's BT's problem, and after 6 weeks, the problem will spontaneously correct itself. 

It is interesting that prior to PN, I was on BT Infinity 2 and had no such problems over a (I think) 3 year period. of course, it is feasible that BT made a change at roughly the time I moved to PN.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There is no specific limit on latency when we'll investigate, however what's acceptable to one person may not be to another.

If the latency has increased, it's normally related to a change in line characteristics or similar.

As the sync has dropped, we cannot reset this remotely so it would require a fault reporting and an engineer visit most likely.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mossywell
Grafter

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. Yes, the sync speed has indeed taken a node-dive. (about 20 to 25% of where it should be). When I get home from work, I'll log it as a new incident. 

Chris
Legend

Let us know when you've done so and we'll get this picked up

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mossywell
Grafter

Good man - will do. Thanks very much. Smiley

EDIT: Actually, I assume you're a man (from the avatar) but that was rather presumptuous - no offensive was intended!

Chris
Legend

You are correct and absolutely no offence taken!

mossywell
Grafter

Well, I started the process by bouncing the router and it actually went back up to 52 mpbs, so I elected not to log an incident and instead see how it progressed for the next 24 hours. Latest graph this time from the beginning of the month.

Speed.PNG

A clear downward trend...

Chris
Legend

Thanks for the graph. Let us know how this goes over the next day or so.

mossywell
Grafter

Unfortunately 4 hours after my previous post, it was back down to 15, then up to 38 (where it is now). Call logged: 150784404. Apparently, a wiring problem between the house and cab has been detected. I would jump for joy except this is exactly what happened in November. 6 weeks later and 3 days off work later it was fixed. I do hope I don't have the same caper this time. (Actually, I can't have the same caper this time as I will have to start stealing days from my summer holidays which won't be good!).

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @mossywell, the fault report is still open with our suppliers and the notes suggest they're still looking in to this matter so hopefully a more permanent resolution is still to come.

Once we receive further updates from our suppliers, our faults team should be in touch via the ticket on your account.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mossywell
Grafter

Hi Harry, thanks very much for the update. Looking forward to hearing BT's input. Smiley
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It looks like an engineer has been assigned to the fault today.

Fingers crossed they find something and it's a quick fix.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mossywell
Grafter

Hi Gandalf, thanks for the update. I have things crossed I did know existed. Smiley
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

It looks like our suppliers cleared a underground fault on Saturday.

Are you still seeing issues?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mossywell
Grafter

Hi Matthew, thanks for the update. Looks like it actually improved at 2:45pm on Friday! (Maybe they didn't update the call until Saturday?) The latency is still around 25ms (interleaved) though (normally 7ms fastpath) - which I suspect it's stuck on until BTW reset it (which I doubt they'll do unless asked)?

Speed.PNG