cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to coonect to internet on occasions

anniesboy
Rising Star

Unable to coonect to internet on occasions

I'm having problems on occasions (once or twice a day at no particular time) connecting to any site on the net.
Lights on modem and technicolor router are all green, If on log on to router it shows connected.
However trying to connect to anything on the net times out.
Any suggestions welcome.
6 REPLIES 6
redtela
Grafter

Re: Unable to coonect to internet on occasions

I'd wager it's DNS issues.
Change to the Google OpenDNS servers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Post back with Operating System details if you're not sure how to do that.
anniesboy
Rising Star

I have no idea on how to do that,having said that it occurs on all of the things connected namely.

My previous PC which was running Vista,my new PC with Windows 8.1.
My wifes Vista machine also Ipad and Nexus tablet.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Since posting this ,I contacted Plusnet via live chat ( which was very satisfactory)
It was suggested that my homeplugs wifi might be a possible cause of the problem, I have disconnected those and will see how it goes. 
My PCs were not connected via homeplugs, I will soon see if the issue is resolved
anniesboy
Rising Star

A week has paased I switched off the homeplugs and ive had no repeat of inabilty to connect to the net.
I have now reconnected the homeplugs and will see how it goes, I really do need the wifi extention ability they provide.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I don't think it's anything to do with homeplugs and I'm surprised that the agent suggested that  Shocked
There are however plenty of posts around here suggesting that there a problems with Plusnet's DNS lookup though as redtela  suggested. This thread doesn't seem to attract much attention under fibre though, I suggest a mod should move it to a more suitable category
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
anniesboy
Rising Star

The suggestion by the agent was that it was the wifi function on the homeplugs that might be causing the problem,  I can say for the past week I have been trouble free.
Having now reconnected the plugs and enabled the wifi on them, I will soon see.