cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to work VPN (L2TP/IPSec)

pl4za
Hooked

Unable to connect to work VPN (L2TP/IPSec)

Hi,

I have recently stopped being able to connect to my work L2TP/IPSec VPN server.

I am able to connect using my mobile hotstpot so the issue is either my router/plusnet.

This issue has been investigated by my work IT team and they suggested the plusnet might be blocking the server IP.

I have the IP with me to share in a private message if needed.

I have my broadband firewall off, tried using an ethernet cable and restarting the router multiple times.

Please advise as this is a big problem for me.

Best regards,

Jason

5 REPLIES 5
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Unable to connect to work VPN (L2TP/IPSec)

Hi @pl4za, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're been having trouble when trying to connect to your work VPN as of recently.
I can see looking over your connection today it looks like for a lot of the day the connection wasn't being correctly authenticated (which is most commonly caused by a recent account password changed and the router just not getting the new password right). It looks like the issue has since been resolved with the authentication however and I'm hoping since then the VPN has been connecting fine your side?
I look forwards to hearing from you further.

pl4za
Hooked

Hi @BD , the authentication attempts are from me trying to setup another router (which unfortunately did not work).

I am still unable to connect to my workplace VPN. I have searched the forum and it seems like a problem other people have with plusnet.

My contract ends next month and this is a deal breaker for me as I need to be able to work from home. I have been using my mobile hotspot for the past few weeks to work around this problem.

I will send you the VPN IP by private message. 

Regards,

Jason

nabllik_new
Dabbler

Hi there,

Sorry to jump on your thread here, but, if my experience is anything to go by then PlusNet will ask if you speeds without the VPN are within the required tolerance, and then say that it is your problem or your workplace's problem, and that they cannot resolve the issue.

This is the thread that I started which fizzled out with no resolution.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/GlobalProtect-VPN-Issues/m-p/1811253

I have asked my neighbour to use his wifi to connect to my work VPN, and that works fine (Vodafone).  I have tried my mobile hotspot (also Vodafone) and that works fine as well.  I connected the BT Openreach modem to my line and connected my work laptop directly to that.  Did not work.

My conclusion is that it is not my home router / network, and it is not my workplace.

PlusNet seem unwilling to assist to resolve this issue for me, and I will presume that you will encounter the same issues.

Sorry to not be of any help on this, but, my experience is that the buck will be passed.

Best regards,

Nicholas J Ball

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@pl4za check that your PlusNet firewall https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-plusnets-broadband-firewall/ is set to Off.

If you have to change the setting, then you must drop the PPPoE connection for it to take effect

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pl4za
Hooked

Thanks @nabllik_new , I think I will give up then and just change provider. 

@MisterW firewall is off already.