cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to RDP after upgrade to Fibre

Dazmail

Unable to RDP after upgrade to Fibre

Hi,
Hopefully someone here can help.  I have recently upgraded from Plusnet Broadband to fibre (up to 36Mb) and am very happy with the speed (gone from approx 8Mb download to 34Mb download)  Only problem is that I can no longer RDP to my servers at work.  Having raised a ticket on Saturday (as yet unanswered!) and contacted support via chat they stated that I should try port forwarding (Although I can't see how this would work - I'm trying to get to external servers, not internal servers from outside my home)  I've made sure that the firewall is switched off through the member centre and on the new Plusnet Router (The 2704n) and even been in to the so called 'expert mode' of the router but no joy.  I have tried connecting my laptop from friend's broadband connections and RDP works fine so it's not a setting on my laptop.  The only thing I haven't tried is replacing the 2704n with my own router. Does any one have any advice before I go to the expense of a new purchase?
many thanks
Daz
14 REPLIES 14
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Unable to RDP after upgrade to Fibre

Are you using the standard port (3389)?
are you using the hostname or IP addy?
I can connect to rdp servers (ADSL) on 212.159.xxx.xxx:xxxxx this random port is then forwarded on the works router to 3389.
Ian
Dazmail

Hi Ian,
Using standard port 3389, tried both hostname and IP.  Works from all other ISP's I have tried (Including 3G on phone) , but not through new fibre link.
Regards
Daz
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

which router
tg582n or 2704n
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Dazmail
The only thing I haven't tried is replacing the 2704n...
Lips_are_sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Do you know which provider your work network is on? We've seen some customers reporting issues connecting between us and Virgin lines over the last few days.
For my reference 85123
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dazmail

Trying to connect to servers on lines hosted by Gamma communications.  Chris - FYI Question #100922099.
Daz
Dazmail

Further update - I've placed my devices in the DMZ and still no luck.  Just in case it helps diagnostics I've found I'm connected to gateway pcl-ag02
Daz
Pulse8

Hi Dazmail

I just joined Plusnet the other day and had my fibre connected on Monday.
I am currently connected to my works VPN (hosted on Zen Internet) from my home Plusnet fibre connection (PPTP)
I am connected to gateway "pcl-ag03" (I presume that the gateway anyway), and for me it connects and works fine.
I am not however using a Plusnet router as I already had a good one so used that and believe from what I read the Plusnet ones are a little "pap" (Sorry PlusNet  :P) so I stuck with my own which is an ASUS RT AC68U and that works fine (its a very good router if you did need ever to upgrade) but I would be sure the Plusnet one should be able to work with a VPN too?!
As long as the VPN server you are trying to connect to has no IP blocking/filtering or MAC filtering restrictions and it worked on your previous connection it should work on your current one, unless you had a fixed IP address before and some IP filtering was in place, but if you can connect from your friends connection which presumably would not have been set up on the server for his IP then it has to be some router/Plusnet connection/firewall issue.
I am fairly sure you should not have to do any port forwarding from you home/outgoing connection (as It is only the incoming host that would need to have the correct ports etc forwarded to the VPN server if it was an internal one) but you might want to check on the settings for the Plusnet router to make sure that "VPN pass through" is enabled (not sure if that relevant) just to make sure there are no packets being blocked by your router.
What is the error when you are trying to connect? what is it saying on your Laptop? Can not find server? or can not connect? Does it look like it is actually hitting the VPN server and attempting a handshake then being denied, or just as if it is not seeing it?

Pulse8

Ive just attached an image of the ASUS RT AC68U settings page for the VPN passthough (called WAN-NAT passthrough on my router)
Depending on the protocol you use to connect (PPTP, L2TP etc.) you would want to have either VPN passthrough enabled (if you only have that setting) or if it is like mine for my connection, PPTP Passthrough
I have just as a test dissabled the PPTP passthrough on my router and with that dissabled I CAN NOT connect to my works server, with it enabled it connects fine.
So you MUST have VPN passthrough active for a connection to be made.
Worth checking if that is set up on your router (if you have that setting, maybe another user can confirm/guide you to the setting)
Hope that helps
Pulse8

After re-reading the your OP I realise that you did not mention connecting using a VPN so please ignore my posts above with regards to that.
That was just my incorrect assumption as I connect to computers in my works intranet by first using a VPN connection and that does work fine.
Also I just set up a port forward on the works router using port 3389 TCP to one server on the internal network with RDP enabled and that connected fine just by hitting the external IP address (using standard settings on a Win 7 PC), so that does prove the RDP does function at least on my Plusnet fibre connection.
All my mention above of VPN passthrough is irrelevant to your situation so sorry for confusing the situation.

Dazmail

Hi Pulse8,
Many thanks for your reply's.  I have a feeling that this could be more to do with the PlusNet router (2704n) than anything else.  I've got hold of a Draytek 2820 that I should be able to configure to at least test.  Maybe I've found the first fault with the 2704n's!
Daz
Dazmail

OK - This is good!
1) Tried to RDP tonight just in case the fix that was pushed out for the Virgin Website connection issue earlier today helped in any way - No joy.  Sad
2) Tried to connect my old Draytek 2820n tonight - Would not connect (Anyone have any clues here - Kept saying Username and Password were incorrect but I can confirm they are fine due to the next step I took)  Angry
3) Decided to bite the bullet and directly connect my laptop to the OR modem using Windows 8.1 PPPoE connection (DON'T DO THIS IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!)  I connected fine (So username and password are fine) and could RDP to my work (Thinks to self....Must be the C**P 2704n router then)  Angry
4) Reconnected the 2704n router and just for the hell of it tried to RDP to work - It connected!  What on earth is happening  Huh  Huh
I didn't want to reboot the router for the first 2 weeks whilst the line speed stabilised, but I thought it will recover over time.(Should have gone for the basic IT issue solution - Turn it off and then back on again!)
I'll keep monitoring it over the next few days but hopefully this will help others.
Daz
Pulse8

Hi Daz,
Grin Cheesy Glad You Got It Sorted  Cheesy  Grin
A reboot usually does the trick, might have just got locked up somehow and the odd reboot certainly wont do any harm, if fact I read (I think on the help and info section on Plusnet) that in the first 10 days you should disconnect and reconnect your modem approx 4 times!? but the Openreach guy said just keep it connected and use your connection as much as you can to start off with, then after about 5 days the line should be pretty much sorted anyway. Its only if you have too many disconnections that you start to have any sort of profile change so I wouldn't worry about the odd reboot.
I have a Netgear EX6200 range extender and that works great but sometimes for no reason stops working on secure sites yet works fine for everything else and the only way that can be sorted is a reboot  Shocked
Anyway glad you got it sorted and hopefully now all will be well  Wink
Dazmail

Thanks Pulse8,
Just in case tech support are looking in, I'm now connected to gateway pcl-bng01.  Don't know if the change of gateway will have any bearing on the matter but I'm happier now!  Grin
Daz