Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultrafast fibre Availability

nabs
Dabbler

Ultrafast fibre Availability

Hi all,

A contractor for BT is currently installing new fibre lines to the pole at the end of my garden in preparation for switching on the Ultrafast service at the start of next year. 

I know it's been mentioned in the past that Plusnet was not supporting this product however has this stance changed any?
I'm still in contract for another year and would be hoping to upgrade to the faster service as soon as it's available. 

Cheers

N

10 REPLIES 10
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Ultrafast fibre Availability

@nabs  Plusnet do not offer any FTTP fibre products and will not say if they will anytime soon so if you want Ultrafast you will have to leave Plusnet at the end of your contact or else pay early termination charges.

nabs
Dabbler

Hi @RealAleMadrid

Thanks for the response, it was the answer I was expecting to be honest.
It'll be a shame to leave after being a customer for so many years but if there but going to keep up with the latest technology then it's going to leave customers very little choice.
Thanks again
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Openreach have also been usy in my area  installing fttp, theyve been at it since May, still no sign of activation, so i wouldnt hold your breath for now at least.

How fast is  Ultrafast?  it all can get confusing with different companies calling things by different names , do ou mean fibre?

I'm on plusnet Fibre, yet theres no sign of fibre cables entering the premises, just the standard copper, are plusnet mis- selling a product for somethig  it is not ?

tmd63
Hooked
Fixes: 2

Why does Virgin Media has 350Mb Ultra Fast Fibre and yet Plusnet refuses to step up and deliver similar speeds?

Is Plusnet closing down?

Tags (1)
nabs
Dabbler

@tmd63 wrote:

Why does Virgin Media has 350Mb Ultra Fast Fibre and yet Plusnet refuses to step up and deliver similar speeds?

Is Plusnet closing down?

i've ordered a new FTTP connection through an alternative supplier and will be cancelling my Plusnet line when the contract runs out later this year.

It wouldn't surprise me if BT turned into an FTTP only provider and punted all the FTTC and ADSL customers to the Plusnet subsiduary.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@@tmd63 wrote:

Is Plusnet closing down?

Simply put, @tmd63 , VM's technology/delivery method is more modern/advanced than what the ancient BT infrastructure is, so they can update their networks more efficiently.

As to PN closing down - who knows what plans BT have?

John
ccarmock
Rising Star

@nabs wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if BT turned into an FTTP only provider and punted all the FTTC and ADSL customers to the Plusnet subsiduary.

I wonder that too - which, if the case, eventually will lead to Plusnet vanishing altogether.  My area is one that BT have already 'pre announced' that in June they will start the process of not providing new copper connections, meaning that if you don't already have a working phone line then Plusnet won't be able to offer service in that scenario.

There is a need for a budget FTTP provider.  Not everyone wants or needs 100 Mb/s+ but could benefit from the reliability and performance of FTTP over FTTC.  

Aquiss seem to be attempting to step into the gap as they do offer a 40/2, 80/10 and 80/20 service over FTTP.  If BT want Plusnet to be the budget brand of their portfolio this coudl be an option for them - focus onthe speeds offered and not be limited by the delivery mechanism.

pint
Aspiring Pro

FTTP is now live in my area, after 11 months of installing - at the moment no interest (FTTC is fine for my needs)

As for BT ADSL customers being switched to plusnet, i cant see that going down too well.

As for the future, i would guess that the plus net brand will eventually be retired, or made obsolete , BT already have EE as a sub brand

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm fairly sure we'll be here to stay (sorry to disappoint Cheesy)

Joking aside, there's no news I can share with regards to when we'll offer FTTP but for the time being, if FTTP is available in your area and you're within contract with us, we'll be happy to waive early termination fees if you move to BT or EE. We'd just ask that you call our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 first.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nabs
Dabbler

@Gandalf wrote:

Joking aside, there's no news I can share with regards to when we'll offer FTTP but for the time being, if FTTP is available in your area and you're within contract with us, we'll be happy to waive early termination fees if you move to BT or EE. We'd just ask that you call our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 first.

I hope this helps.

Wish I'd known that last week!
I've just placed an order for FTTP with Sky as I'm still got a contract with you guys for another 10 months (I'll be paying for 2 lines) and they were offering a much better package with TV than BT.