cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra Fast Broadband

kenSDWunderwood
Hooked

Ultra Fast Broadband

I have upgraded my previous fiber unlimited Plusnet service which  i was getting around 37Mb before and 7Mb upload and after paying more for extra fiber and told i was going to expect speeds of 44-60Mb and upload of 12mbs. But it is even slower than both now i get around 34mb download and 7mb upload 

Reset the router, no change.

Upgraded on the 23rd October and was told it would slowly increase in speed over a 14 day period.

So to sum up then on Wednesday 6th November, two days time,the 14 days will be up and so far my speed is slower than before, and i am paying a higher rate for the privilege of a slower speed

I have left a message on my board to be answered by your support guys and so far no one has done so.

Never had any reason to complain up to now but this is just not on.

Regards

Ken

13 REPLIES 13
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Ultra Fast Broadband

That's not Ultrafast (because Ultrafast for more than 100Mbps on broadband) as your product is Superfast (up to 80Mbps)?

kenSDWunderwood
Hooked

OK got the terminology wrong its Unlimited Fibre Extra, still have the same problems though, just slower than before.

Lets not get picky

<K>

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

What's it say for your line here

If you were only hitting 7Mb with a 10Mb upload speed (I'm assuming), I'd be surprised if you'd go any faster e.g. I'm on a 80/20 and I usually get around 19Mb. On your line you should be expecting to be maxing out the connection on a slower speed i.e. 9Mb or better.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
kenSDWunderwood
Hooked

Hi 55Mbs Down

Low 37Mbs Down

Hi 13Mbs Up

Low 8Mbs Up

On my previous tariff Unlimited Fiber was 37Mbs Down and just a tad under 9Mbs Up

Now with the upgrade its 34Mbs Down and 7Mbs Up

Totally logical to me, why do i pay more for less?

Regards

Ken

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

All fibre are up to speed with the same monthly payment. My parents are the same as they used to be 74/19 but now they only getting 57/19 due to crosstalk at the cabinet with more customers sign up for fibre and paying the same monthly payment.
kenSDWunderwood
Hooked

Don't understand the reasoning with your answer.
Are you saying that I should pay more and get less.
Regards
Ken
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @kenSDWunderwood,

I'm sorry that your speed dropped following your upgrade to fibre extra and for any inconvenience that this is causing you.

I've tested your line and the test shows that your line is now back syncing at around 37.4 mbps. This is slightly below your line's estimates of 37.7 - 55.4mbps so it does appear that there is an issue here, though the test has identified this.

We'll need to do some troubleshooting to try and narrow down the cause of the problem.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket. https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

As per the above, the speed estimate for your line for the fibre extra is 37.7-55.4mbps down and 8.1-13mbps up. For the standard fibre package, the lower end of the estimate would stay the same but the upper end would be limited to 40mbps and 10mbps respectively.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
kenSDWunderwood
Hooked

Hi Emily, thanks for getting in touch.

First of all i have done exactly what you have advised here with no change at all.

The master socket is 1 meter from the router

I connect to the router via WiFi and i have connected direct to the router with no change at all.

On just checking again with the BT speed test and also speedtest.net then i still get 34Mbs down and 7.5Mbs up.

The speeds that i am getting are fine for what i do online, thats not a problem but can you tell me why i was getting slightly higher speed on my previous tariff but now they are lower, the question is why did i need to change as up to then i paid less and got more, why was i convinced that i should upgrade.

Regards

Ken

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @kenSDWunderwood

I've retested the line and I can't see any cause for this as in theory you shouldn't notice any difference in speeds.

To investigate this further we'd need you to raise a fault here and then post back once you've done so.

We can then raise this to our suppliers so they can investigate further but it may be that we need to arrange an engineer visit.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
kenSDWunderwood
Hooked

Fault raised Matthew

Regards

Ken

kenSDWunderwood
Hooked

This is some idea of what i am getting.

Ken

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for the update, Ken.

I've raised that to our suppliers for you here and our faults team will keep you updated on the next steps over the next 2/3 working days.

Best wishes

Dave

kenSDWunderwood
Hooked

Appreciated Dave

Ken