cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubiquiti for home

joshm1

Ubiquiti for home

Hi all

In desperate need of some new wifi at home and ubiquiti is what i am getting. Do i need to buy one of the edge routers or can i set up my plusnet router up in a way to get it to work. At the moment i have the 582n router and bt modem so just wondering what i need to get this to work.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ubiquiti for home

These are the type of Access Points you'll find in Hotels and larger building and have a really good reputation, I had a look at them before and from what I found out they will work with any router and are highly configurable, but IMSMC they do (well the ones I looked at) need Power Over Ethernet for them to work.

If you've not seen it before have a look at this.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Looking at Broadbandbuyer they state 

This Access Point includes a UK power supply and PoE injector

for the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR UniFi Long Range AC1300 model (Ditto for other models so check what your chosen supplier includes)

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/23764-ubiquiti-uap-ac-lr/

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
dickyhillary
Dabbler

I fully recommend the Ubiquiti Unifi kit. I've been using a USG3 -> 2xUSW8 -> UAP-AC-LR for months. I spent a bit of time finding the sweet spot for the AP to have the entire house covered by wifi without the need for crappy boosters etc. 

I've just changed the modem side to the Vigor 130. 

Stability is 100% rock solid even when using the beta releases of their software.

The only issue I've had so far was getting Plusnet TV working as Unifi doesn't have IGMP configuration in the GUI. All sorted with the command line though.

joshm1

Yes i was looking at these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...

Do i need the plusnet router still and if so do i need to make any changes to it? I would prefer POE if possible so would that mean i need to buy something else?

Phill
Hooked

Yes you still need your router. These are access points. You don't need to change anything apart from maybe turn off it's wifi.

A cable will go from one of the LAN ports on the router into the injector. From the injector a cable will go into the AP.

joshm1

Thanks. Yes i know these are AP what i meant to put was do i need a ubiquiti router to run them or can i use plusnets?

Thanks

Phill
Hooked

You just need to plug them into a LAN port on the plusnet router. No other routers needed.