cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA IP address

thedoors27
Dabbler

USA IP address

I'm having trouble accessing websites as I'm being put on a USA ip address. I spoke to a chat agent that said he would reset my connection but that didn't happen so I turned out my router and modem for 5 minutes. This still hasn't fixed the problem. Anyone know what I can do? Not only that but my download speed has gone down to 3mb, I'm on the upto 80mb package!

3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: USA IP address

This may be a very silly suggestion

Are you sure that you are connected to your own router rather than a neighbours (wireless or home plug can give a problem)

Assuming you aren't connected wired can you try that and see what happens with  respect to both problems

thedoors27
Dabbler

Definitely connected to my own router Smiley will try a wired connection first thing tomorrow. Going to turn all my net off and hopefully be assigned a U.K address!

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

There is a thread to report issues with  Plusnet IP addresses not been seen as UK based https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p...

Also some friendly advice. If you have a separate modem and router, there is no need to switch off the modem when you have an issue to do with IP addresses. Switching the modem off and on can cause your download speed to drop as it could be seen as an error by the FTTC cabinet . It would then reduce your speeds in an effort to make the line stable. In fact there aren't many issues that would need the modem to be switched off and on again.

Also if you switch the router off, please ensure that you have logged onto its control page first, clicked "Disconnect" and waited a minute before powering it down. This ensures that the session link to Plusnet is cleared down correctly.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT