cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDP Packet loss?

Peterxrm
Grafter

UDP Packet loss?

I am told by others when using a connection for amateur radio that goes down the WWW the equipment experiences packet drop outs. I was using power line adapters to connect the equipment-changed it to a hard wired connection and i am told that nothing has changed and still users are getting these "packet drop outs" when users connect thro my box - at times they have a total drop of connection. Buffering has been mentioned. UDP being used but change to TCP to see if this improves things and change the DMZ setting has been banded about. I gather I am the only one of over 35 of this type of connection used in the UK who experiences this drop out problem. I am not sure what the others are using as a ISP provider. When I talk about my connection to others about its PN connection and I have a separate modem attached to a separate  and can only address the router to see what is going on it brings tut tuts from the listeners. I would appreciate a constructive answer to why I am experiencing this packet drop outs. I have no loss on the receive side only when users talk from my end.
Peter
4 REPLIES 4
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: UDP Packet loss?

Well UDP isn't a guaranteed delivery transport (unlike tcp/ip). We need more info about the connection to be able to diagnose further.
Peterxrm
Grafter

Thanks for the response. I am not sure what sort of further information to add to the post, can you elaborate on what you say.
thank you
Peter
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well are the packets buffered at the sending end, or is it just blindly sending? Is it point to point transfer between the sender and receiver or is it via another relay?
E.g. Tx --> buffer --> relay -->buffer --> rx.
Or
Tx --> relay --> rx
I haven't used packet radio since the 90's (de GM1JLP) and am unaware of what is happening these days. It used to be buffered but small packet sending, but now it is using ip so a lot faster.
Since you have eliminated the power line units, it must be some kind of handshake not happening.
Does the incoming (from the Internet) connect to a port on the unit? If so have you enabled port forwarding on the router to forward that port to the unit's IP?
Peterxrm
Grafter

Hi-thanks for the response-its not packet but a digital motorola signal that I am told is dropping out when sending .  Others suggest it is the provider is dropping packets occasionally in UDP but how to overcome this is what i am trying to sort out. The router alternatives are either change the UDP to TCP. PN have been asked about what can cause this and can they rectify it but what ever has been tried the problem still turns up occasionally. Is their any router changes that can be made to overcome this dropping of packets?
Peter