Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two distinct problems - Fibre speed and WiFi instability

Customer42
Hooked

Two distinct problems - Fibre speed and WiFi instability

I have two separate problems:

1. I upgraded to Fibre Extra (from Fibre Unlimited) on 19 Nov 2018. Despite three calls for assistance and two sessions with Provisioning my speeds have not changed - still 37mbps up, 1.8mbps down - unchanged from Unlimited speeds. So I have now been paying for two months for a service I am not receiveing.

2. My WiFi started having odd connectivity problems, drop-outs, etc. since Nov/Dec last year. After reading some forum posts on the problem I tried splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz services. This did not solve anything but I found that the two services were individually crashing and rebooting at random times. Wired connections have continued to work without issues.

The router SW reports 'Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 11/10/18' in the page footer - I find the coincidence between the SW update date and the beginning of my connectivity issues compelling.

Can you please help resolve these two issues?

Thank you,

Peter

6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Two distinct problems - Fibre speed and WiFi instability

Hi Peter.

1. I upgraded to Fibre Extra (from Fibre Unlimited) on 19 Nov 2018. Despite three calls for assistance and two sessions with Provisioning my speeds have not changed - still 37mbps up, 1.8mbps down - unchanged from Unlimited speeds. So I have now been paying for two months for a service I am not receiveing.

Sorry that your speeds haven't changed.

Unfortunately it looks like the order to upgrade your service hadn't reached our suppliers. I'm disappointed to see this wasn't done at the outset or when you contacted us, but I've placed the order now which should complete tomorrow.

If you can let us know over here once this has gone through we'll be happy to credit you for the time you've paid for a service you haven't had.

2. My WiFi started having odd connectivity problems, drop-outs, etc. since Nov/Dec last year. After reading some forum posts on the problem I tried splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz services. This did not solve anything but I found that the two services were individually crashing and rebooting at random times. Wired connections have continued to work without issues.

Could you try the steps here letting us know how it goes? 

The router SW reports 'Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 11/10/18' in the page footer - I find the coincidence between the SW update date and the beginning of my connectivity issues compelling.

As far as I'm aware that's the latest firmware version we plan to roll out to everyone and I don't think there are any known problems with it but maybe our products whizz @bobpullen could advise further? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Customer42
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Well you've certainly worked your magic on my network speed - as of today Ookla test says I am getting 65.8Mbps down 18.6Mbps up! (49/13 with BT Wholesale test)  Many thanks with fixing this issue so quickly after much frustration over multiple calls to phone support.

How do I go about requesting a credit for the non-contract service period?

On the WiFi (issue 2): I started trying to debug the issues last year and posted on this thread for help: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-one-losing-wifi-connection/m-p/1604404#M9547

I've just noticed that @bobpullen sent me a reply 2 weeks ago about an update to my SW (was 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1 now ...8.263) so thanks to Bob for that.

I posted this new thread about WiFi last night because the 2.4GHz crashed in the middle of streaming a video and took about 30 mins to re-establish itself. Using WiFi Analyser I could see the router signal was disappearing and reappearing repeatedly until it finally stabilised.

I previously split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID's, and checking tonight I found my phone (Moto G4) wouldn't connect to 5GHz at all, only 2.4GHz. So I have rebooted the router, and now both bands are working!

So in summary - as of now I have no outstanding issues Smiley   I will continue to monitor the WiFi and if all looks stable will resync the SSID's in a couple of weeks time.

Many thanks to you and to Bob for the great support.

Best regards,

Peter

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Peter.

I'm glad to see your speeds have increased and sorry that this wasn't done sooner, and it's good to hear your WiFi is running OK now. Regarding the billing, I've created a support ticket with more detail which you can view and reply to here.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Customer42
Hooked

WiFi issue is still in play I'm afraid - the 5GHz has stopped working again.

Trying to connect to the 5GHz ssid my phone first said, 'Authentication problem', then after reboot it says, 'Connected, no internet'. 10 mins later my phone says, 'No internet access detected. Won't reconnect automatically.'

Symptoms are:

- WiFi signal present and identifies correctly (WiFi Analyser).

- Logging into the router and examining the network connections, the phone looks like it is connected correctly.

- Phone can definitely see the local network (can control locally connected Philips Hue bulbs) but no internet connection.

- After the 'no access detected meesage, the phone won't reconnect on 5GHz, but also won't automatically connect to the 2.4GHz - needs to be done manually. Bummer when I forget 'cos I'm using my 4G subscription without realising.

I've just tried manually setting the 5GHz to a vacant channel (60) as there is one other much lower strength signal on 48 (-78dBm compared to -42dBm - shouldn't be causing any interference but channel 60 is totally empty so why not use it?) This didn't make any difference to anything.

What next steps can I try?

Thanks,

Peter

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Customer42,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing further problems with your WiFi. As the steps that you've tried so far haven't resolved this, I think that the best next step would be to try a replacement router. I've ordered this now and it'll be with you within 3-5 working days. I've waived the postage and packaging charge due to the issues that you've experienced.

Please let us know if you continue to experience any problems with your WiFi connection once you have the new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Customer42
Hooked

Thanks Emily,

I'll set it up when it arrives and see how it goes.

Best regards,

Peter