cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two OR visits and they have made my line worse on both visits

Haybasha
Rising Star

Two OR visits and they have made my line worse on both visits

Well after a further visit by OR today 21/04/16 after they managed to drop my line speed on the 11/04/16 I've suddenly gone from a connection rate of over 50Mbps to now under 43Mbps with a line rate that has dropped from some 54Mbps to just over 43Mbps.

Even better it looks like half the tones on my line seem to have vanished too, any ideas anyone?

It would seem OR do not have expertise in fixing things, although they do excel at breaking them! Angry

21/04/1621/04/1625/03/1625/03/16

29 REPLIES 29
Haybasha
Rising Star

Re: Two OR visits and they have made my line worse on both visits

Just to bump this it's actually tone numbers 2169 onwards that has vanished and my download speed has dropped a further 5 to 6Mbps after the efforts of openreach yesterday and that is after dropping some 5Mbps on the previous visit on 11/04/16. I'm now getting speeds in line with a 40/10 service after some 3 months of this!

Can anyone advise please?

Haybasha
Rising Star

Why is it so difficult for PlusNet to understand my line rate has been reduced by the actions of Openreach on the last two visits, first on the 11/04/16 then again yesterday on the 21/04/16. I'd also add both these visits where supposed to be for a broadband engineer, I actually got telephone engineers who did not have a clue.

On both occasions Openreach have manged to drop my line rate, it is now performing some 20% less than it was on the 11/04/16 and some 9% less than it was yesterday before they arrived?

I've gone from a line rate of 51-54Mbps to now 43Mbps with an actual download speed that was 49Mbps to 39Mbps. They have also managed to drop my upload speed and all of this is without interleaving so it will get worse.

I'd appreciate an explanation from plusnet.

Haybasha
Rising Star

As further evidence please see attached line profile speeds taken on 05/04/16 and today 22/04/16, as you can see it's getting slower by the day and this is before interleaving kicks in to remove the average of 30 CRC's I'm seeing per minute at present.

Can a mod or staff member please give this a kick for me as I'm totally sick to death of calling, chatting to PlusNet staff who don't seem to have a clue. After some 3 months all that has been achieved is every aspect of my connection has been made worse by Openreach and the fact they can't send the correct staff with working equipment to a job!.

Haybasha
Rising Star

After a further discussion with PlusNet today I'm still told they will not send out an Openreach Broadband Engineer to rectify the problems caused by the two previous Openreach Telephone Engineers. I was told by PlusNet I was getting a Broadband Engineer.

The reason given for not sending the Broadband Engineer is "you line is within the acceptable range", yes, just and it was operating above the top end of that range until the last two Openreach visits.

A couple of questions I'd love an answer too PlusNet:

Why won't you book an Openreach Boost Engineer to rectify the issues caused by Openreach on my line?

Do you only provide the minimum service to paying customers or do you have a policy of providing the best possible connection the line can manage? Mine can mange at least 10Mbps more than at present.

Why do you tell me you can't book a further Openreach appointment to rectify their mistakes because my line is within limits when it is some 10Mbps less than it was on the two previous occasions you did book Openreach visits?

Haybasha
Rising Star

It's not getting any better, in fact my connection is getting slower and still no response from PlusNet.

Errors from the last two days are through the roof too, from DSLStats:

Average error rates for 23 Apr 2016

CRC errors per hour:  1275 Down,  0.42 Up
FEC errors per hour:  0 Down,  0.28 Up
HEC errors per hour:  901 Down,  0 Up
ES per hour:  141 Down,  0.42 Up
SES per hour:  3.08 Down,  0 Up

Average error rates for 24 Apr 2016

CRC errors per hour:  1103 Down,  0.20 Up
FEC errors per hour:  0 Down,  0.41 Up
HEC errors per hour:  599 Down,  0 Up
ES per hour:  140 Down,  0.20 Up
SES per hour:  2.74 Down,  0 Up

I normally get between 2 and 4 ES/Hour

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

do you have a OR modem or Hub one? Hopefully @Chris can pick this topic up.

Have you tried calling them or contacting them via live help? Shocked

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Haybasha
Rising Star

I've been in touch via chat and telephone just about everyday for the last 2 weeks and so far nothing has been done to my satisfaction. My ticket has been open since 7th February 2016.

I'm currently using a Netgear D7000 but also have a ZyXel SBG3300-N and a HH5. Both the D7000 and SBG3300-N are far better than the HH5.

It's not my equipment, it's the total incompetence of Openreach that's the issue.

etdsaunders
Pro

What speed are you getting now? You'll be lucky to get BT out if it's within you're range. When OR Engineer visit's plusnet get charged, and they've sent two Engineers out. What was the original visit for may i ask?

@adamwalker any chance you could chase this ticket up?

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
Haybasha
Rising Star

I hardly think the fact PlusNet will be charged is my problem is it? I also fail to see how PlusNet will be charged when Openreach sent the wrong "engineers" on both visits.

The original visit was to sort the upload speed, as was the one after. All Openreach have managed to do is drop my download speed by 10Mbps as already said above and increase the amount of errors on my line.

As far as I'm concerned Openreach have dropped my speed to a level below what I pay for (80/20) and below the level I have ever had due to their own incompetence.

As such I am not being given what my line can and will achieve and I'm now suffering huge amounts of errors, which once DLM kicks in again my speed will drop yet further.

My line is capable of a line rate of over 50Mbps, My current line rate is 41Mbps and dropping,

As already said maybe someone from PlusNet would like to answer my simple questions above?

Haybasha
Rising Star

As for speed tests, the first is from 6th April 2016 before I had my first Openreach visit the second is from yesterday 24th April 2016:

Haybasha
Rising Star

Well after a further 1.3/4 hours on the telephone to retentions and technical (both twice) PlusNet are still refusing to send the Broadband Engineer I was promised to fix the problem that Openreach caused in the first place.

Not only that but my ticket 119535989 spanning the last 3 months from 7th February 2016 seems to have vanished from my account, strange that as I've just cited it as evidence in my formal dispute raised this evening. Strange that should happen! I do however have a full copy of it regardless.

PlusNet you are a total disgrace! To say I'm not happy is a total understatement.

Haybasha
Rising Star

Well as it would seem PlusNet do not want to resolve this issue in a reasonable manner, nor even respond to this thread I've taken it upon myself to raise a formal dispute and write a rather lengthy email including a copy of my missing ticket to Andy Baker PlusNet's CEO.

Thanks for nothing PlusNet!

etdsaunders
Pro

I don't quite understand how it's plusnet's fault? You are within you're estimates and therefore it's obviously not classed as a fault.

If the line is connected and within the range you'll get no pleasure from complaining. Just remember some users are lucky to get 5mb on fttc.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
Haybasha
Rising Star

No offence but I fail to understand this typical oh we are British let's all just put up with it attitude, why should I? I re-contracted in good faith based on the speeds I have been getting only to have the incompetence of Openreach suddenly rob me of 20% for the same price? N.B. this is not my line degrading/crosstalk/rein/rfi etc. it is total incompetence that has caused this and it can be fixed.

Would you be happy when going to the bank for £100 they only give you £80 but remove the £100 from your account?

Or after servicing your car it only has 80% of the performance and fuel consumption is worse than it had been before the garage took it, only to be told it will still do the speed limit so it's fine.

Thought not.

It is Openreach's fault but as PlusNet are my point of sale that's who needs to resolve this. PlusNet are not guilty of the reduced speed but they are guilty of apathy in getting the right result.

As said, I've tried to be reasonable for some 3 months now but as I've now hit a total brick wall and maybe see the true colours of PlusNet under the BT banner I've escalated this to the CEO, who has just read my email and no doubt the copy of the missing ticket I attached and raised this as a formal complaint through the resolution process.